Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N2 missing sign - speeding ticket expunged

Options
  • 03-05-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I got a ticket on the n2 at coldwinters northbound January last - they claimed 92kph in an 80 zone. Contacted Fingal coco and checked speed limit with them. Turns out 100 kph sign fell down in the last five years. It has now been replaced. I contacted the Garda npo office and sent them an email from the county engineer confirming speed limit and missing sign. Just found out today the points and fine are to be expunged and refunded... just in case anyone else got points at same point. Contacted rsa and they were totally disinterested!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Contacted rsa and they were totally disinterested!!

They are more interested in preaching the goody goody stuff than engineering solutions of any kind - including speed limit sign-posts.

They probably reckon everyone should be doing 30kph max everywhere, all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Evolutionary Guy

Quickelles wrote: »
    They probably reckon everyone should be doing 30kph max everywhere, all the time.

Its the fact that they are *not* contacting people who were penalised for a mistaken offence is whats getting me! Its just a revenue stream if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I wonder if you were disqualified because of a couple of tickets at this location and you lost your driving job, could you sue them for the loss of income?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

I got a ticket on the n2 at coldwinters northbound January last - they claimed 92kph in an 80 zone. Contacted Fingal coco and checked speed limit with them. Turns out 100 kph sign fell down in the last five years. It has now been replaced. I contacted the Garda npo office and sent them an email from the county engineer confirming speed limit and missing sign. Just found out today the points and fine are to be expunged and refunded... just in case anyone else got points at same point. Contacted rsa and they were totally disinterested!!

Well this is great news. I too got a fine and two points there in January, paid up etc. I was disappointed to see 100 kpm sign in place in March, but thought I was just unlucky and road had been reclassified. I'll follow up for refund and removal of points.

Thanks for posting this.

murphaph wrote: »
    I wonder if you were disqualified because of a couple of tickets at this location and you lost your driving job, could you sue them for the loss of income?

Good point. I note that its the rsa who maintain the points db but its the guards who remove the points and the coco who set and maintain the speedlimit and signs. This site has been used a good few times so probably a good few people suffering from increased insurance costs or as you say a possible driving ban .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It is all fine blaming the RSA, but it is Fingal who didn't replace the sign and the Gardai who don't seem to have a map of the speedlimit zones as per regulation. One of the least attractive features of Irish local authorities is that they can decide a sign is needed and erect one, but then do nothing about replacing it if it is damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That would seem to indicate the system mostly works.

The RSA do want people to slow down - any reduction in speed reduces the likelihood and severity of collisions - but they aren't insisting on 30km/h everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

The state would defend any claims for damages on the basis that the victim did not contest the FPN.

Agree, however look at the options available when in receipt of a FPN.
    1. Pay up and put it down to a hard lesson.
    2. Contest the fine. If you contest it in court then you face the gamble of more points and higher fine. If you pay and then contest it (which is what I did) then although you might consider it accepting an unjust punishment it would be more beneficial in the long run irrespective of outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This post has been deleted.
    I'll take your word on that..not a lawyer, but is that fair? If you get a FPN then you should be able to assume that the location in question had the correct threshold set for allowed speed. You could easily get caught a few times on the same day of you were a courier or something working out of Ashbourne etc. Before you'd know it you'd have clocked up your 12 points. You might then simply believe that the limit had been changed and you hadn't noticed. You might only find out about it on a thread like this one, as one poster appears to have done in fact! All seems grossly unfair that you could be out of pocket due to this gross incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

My Dad was done around that area too for going over 80kph. Need to check exactly where. What stretch exactly was it? Between Coldwinters and The Brock Inn or further Northbound towards Ashbourne?

LFCFan wrote: »
    My Dad was done around that area too for going over 80kph. Need to check exactly where. What stretch exactly was it? Between Coldwinters and The Brock Inn or further Northbound towards Ashbourne?

It was just before Coldwinters junction, there is a Garda reserved space off hard shoulder. On the N2 before it turns into M2. It's not the old road.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

Hi Evolutionary Guy,

Who in Fingal Co Co did you contact? I was put in touch with Operations Dept., was promised an email but still not arrived. That was 3 days ago. Any direct contact?

Seasoft wrote: »
    Hi Evolutionary Guy,

Who in Fingal Co Co did you contact? I was put in touch with Operations Dept., was promised an email but still not arrived. That was 3 days ago. Any direct contact?

I will pm you the details.

Advertisement