Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Language for LC

Options
  • 03-05-2013 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

So, I'm in third year now, picking my subjects for next year and I've come to a bit of a situation! I've wrote down on my form that I'd be happy doing Chemistry, Biology, Physics, French, Business, Economics and Applied Maths. The school took these forms from everyone and made up our subject bands and the classes chosen for us, which we got back today. I got Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Business and Applied Maths in school and Economics outside of school with a teacher (there's a class of like 10 of us doing it). However, due to the way the bands are laid out, there's no possible way of me doing French in school. In a way I'm happy I don't have to do it but it's also seriously worrying me that it'll cause issues come university time. I'm currently hoping to do Medicine (not sure where!) but I could always change my mind. However, I do most definitely know I'll go down a science route. I'm still worried though that I might need the language! I know that I can go to UCC, Trinity, UL or any of the IT's without a language and also there's the option of the UK, but I still worry! I was thinking of doing a language by myself! I'm a good student and willing to put in the work! I would only be using it as matriculation purposes so I wouldn't be expecting an A in Honours just a D3 in OL. Would it be do-able? Which languages would you recommend? I could always keep on French, but I find it quite a complex language in terms of grammar. What about Italian? I know I'd be missing a three year foundation but it might still be do-able? I was also thinking about Japanese or Russian since they only start at LC level so I'd have the same time to do it. Can anybody offer an insight?

Tl'dr: Can I do a language outside of school myself? Would it be do-able? What language would you recommend? Japanese or Russain or Italian maybe?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

I would keep on a language if I was you, just to keep your options open. You say you find French grammar difficult, but since you have a foundation in it already from the Junior Cert, it would probably be easier to keep that on in my opinion, rather than having to learn a new language from scratch. If you're prepared to put in the work I'd say gettting a D3 at OL would definitely be manageable. You could always get one or two grinds coming up to your oral in sixth year just to boost your confidence. Oh and by the way, you do need a third language to study medicine at UCC, if you do decide that's what you want to do. I think you're correct though that you don't need a third language for Trinity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

dcam wrote: »
    I would keep on a language if I was you, just to keep your options open. You say you find French grammar difficult, but since you have a foundation in it already from the Junior Cert, it would probably be easier to keep that on in my opinion, rather than having to learn a new language from scratch. If you're prepared to put in the work I'd say gettting a D3 at OL would definitely be manageable. You could always get one or two grinds coming up to your oral in sixth year just to boost your confidence. Oh and by the way, you do need a third language to study medicine at UCC, if you do decide that's what you want to do. I think you're correct though that you don't need a third language for Trinity :)
    Yeah, I'm not sure about French though! It just doesn't appeal to me or something! I know what you mean though, you make a good point! Thank you! I'm most definitely prepared to put in the work 100%! I just found that out about UCC, I heard they removed the requirements for their Science courses and thought that meant medicine too! All the more reason to study another language! Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    So, I'm in third year now, picking my subjects for next year and I've come to a bit of a situation! I've wrote down on my form that I'd be happy doing Chemistry, Biology, Physics, French, Business, Economics and Applied Maths. The school took these forms from everyone and made up our subject bands and the classes chosen for us, which we got back today. I got Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Business and Applied Maths in school and Economics outside of school with a teacher (there's a class of like 10 of us doing it). However, due to the way the bands are laid out, there's no possible way of me doing French in school. In a way I'm happy I don't have to do it but it's also seriously worrying me that it'll cause issues come university time. I'm currently hoping to do Medicine (not sure where!) but I could always change my mind. However, I do most definitely know I'll go down a science route. I'm still worried though that I might need the language! I know that I can go to UCC, Trinity, UL or any of the IT's without a language and also there's the option of the UK, but I still worry! I was thinking of doing a language by myself! I'm a good student and willing to put in the work! I would only be using it as matriculation purposes so I wouldn't be expecting an A in Honours just a D3 in OL. Would it be do-able? Which languages would you recommend? I could always keep on French, but I find it quite a complex language in terms of grammar. What about Italian? I know I'd be missing a three year foundation but it might still be do-able? I was also thinking about Japanese or Russian since they only start at LC level so I'd have the same time to do it. Can anybody offer an insight?

Tl'dr: Can I do a language outside of school myself? Would it be do-able? What language would you recommend? Japanese or Russain or Italian maybe?

Thank you :)

I'd seriously recommend keeping on a language, preferably doing it in a class with a teacher and not by yourself. You say that you find French grammar difficult - I wouldn't consider starting Italian then from scratch as I think the grammar is extremely similar. You should continue with French for LC, it doesn't get too difficult, especially if you're going to be doing OL. If all you're going for is a D3 in OL I'm sure you'd be grand doing it by yourself, if you were an A-C candidate in it for JC.

Again, keep on a language anyways, as you never know you may change your mind on a course you want to do and you may find out 2 years too late that it requires a language. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Doing it on your own is well doable. My friend in school was set on doing Engineering from 1st year but just around the mocks he changed his mind to veterinary. He picked up French (not having done it since JC) about 2 or 3 weeks before the orals and did ordinary level for the LC. I don't know what exact mark he got but I think he got ~B or so in OL (he was a fairly smart lad). He didn't use it for points though! :P

I'd recommend if you are only aiming for an OL D3 or so then it's well doable on your own as you seem to be a smart lad anyways. The other subjects are a lot more useful anyways seeing as you are hoping to pursue a career in science. The only thing not doing French could limit yourself if you still go for medicine and science is a possible Erasmus in France (I know in NUIG that a select few people get to go to Montpellier in France for placement in Medicine, so you may be at a disadvantage {but they also hold night french classes for those med students I think anyways})

So Id say stick with doing French outside school if you aren't aiming to use it for points or if you don't intend to pursue a career in which it would be ultimately needed. :)

Advertisement