Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Accountants CAP 1 exemptions

Options
  • 03-05-2013 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering that if your course is on this list http://students.charteredaccountants.ie/en/Student-Information/Courses/Exemptions/ and you get the desired 2.2, would you receive all your exemptions for CAP 1? I got 46% in my only Finance subject in second year and 48% in management accounting in first year,( 60 in second and third year), i was just wondering that would the 46% in finance stop me from being exempt from that exam even though I got the 2.2?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 headhoncho1

Raf32 wrote: »
    I was just wondering that if your course is on this list http://students.charteredaccountants.ie/en/Student-Information/Courses/Exemptions/ and you get the desired 2.2, would you receive all your exemptions for CAP 1? I got 46% in my only Finance subject in second year and 48% in management accounting in first year,( 60 in second and third year), i was just wondering that would the 46% in finance stop me from being exempt from that exam even though I got the 2.2?

I'm afraid you won't get your exemptions for the subjects you got less than 50% in. You can apply as an external candidate to resit management accounting and finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Thank you and would this stop me from doing a masters this September?

No it won't. You have up until the beginning of July to apply to sit finance and management accounting as an external candidate with CAI. Just make sure you let the masters programme you're applying to know that you have CAP 1's to sit.

Thank you very much for all your help, so i could do the masters and then do the exams for CAP 1 after?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

Think the information here is incorrect. The 2.2 refers to your overall degree. To gain an exemption via an undergrad course you just need to get >40% in the subject(s) that the exemption falls under. Since you have achieved this you get the exemption (providing you get a 2:2 in your degree).

Note: if you pass by compensation, that is when you'll have to repeat the exemption externally.

• Advertisement

yesman2000 wrote: »
    Think the information here is incorrect. The 2.2 refers to your overall degree. To gain an exemption via an undergrad course you just need to get >40% in the subject(s) that the exemption falls under. Since you have achieved this you get the exemption (providing you get a 2:2 in your degree).

Note: if you pass by compensation, that is when you'll have to repeat the exemption externally.

Thank you very much, No i have passed everything, not compensated any subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

According to the Chartered Accountant website you must get 50% in the final exam for the course in order to get the CAP1 exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

SBWife wrote: »
    According to the Chartered Accountant website you must get 50% in the final exam for the course in order to get the CAP1 exemption.

Could you send on the link where it says this. I can't seem to find it.

This is what I have found on the website

"To claim exemptions from any part of CA Proficiency 1(CAP1) candidates must achieve a minimum of a 2.ii honours degree. Candidates must meet the criteria and have a clear pass without compensation in all relevant college options in order to qualify for individual subject exemptions. Details of criteria are available from the university."

A clear pass in a University setting being >40%
    I think if you repeat externally the pass mark is 50% (not sure), maybe this is the source of your confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

Raf32 wrote: »
    Thank you and would this stop me from doing a masters this September?

In N.U.I.G you have to have at least a 2:1 to do the Masters in Accounting ,

Could you send on the link where it says this. I can't seem to find it.

This is what I have found on the website

"To claim exemptions from any part of CA Proficiency 1(CAP1) candidates must achieve a minimum of a 2.ii honours degree. Candidates must meet the criteria and have a clear pass without compensation in all relevant college options in order to qualify for individual subject exemptions. Details of criteria are available from the university."

A clear pass in a University setting being >40%
    I think if you repeat externally the pass mark is 50% (not sure), maybe this is the source of your confusion.

The pass rate for all CAI exams is 50%. You can get a 2.2 overall in your degree but if you say, get 40% in financial reporting you will not get an exemption for that module.

Edit: To clarify all this it would probably be worth speaking to the institute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Bury Down The Hatchet

The requirements for getting exemptions vary depending on your third level qualification and the requirements are detailed on the CAI website. For most degrees, passing (i.e. 40% or higher) in the relevant modules will get you the exemption as long as you get a 2.2 overall. I know that this is correct because I got less than 50% in the Finance modules in my degree but I was given the exemption anyway.

http://students.charteredaccountants.ie/en/Student-Information/Courses/Exemptions/

^^^ Check out the requirements for your course on this page and you will get your answer

Advertisement