Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JB/JA (Dole) and Volunteering.

Options
  • 02-05-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Is someone in receipt of Jobseeker's Benefit / Jobseeker's Allowance (i.e. on the dole) totally excluded from volunteer work?

For example, for someone that's in a normal job (i.e. Monday-Friday, 9-to-5) could work as a volunteer, arguably, two days per week (Saturday and Sunday).

If you are on the dole, you cannot work as a volunteer because in order to receive the dole, you much be "available for employment". What I'm wondering though, is, can you volunteer for, say, just two days a week. Leaving you "available for employment" on the other five days?

Just wondering,

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Details:
    To get Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit you must be available and looking for work. If you want to do voluntary work, you must first get permission from a Deciding Officer at your Social Welfare Local Office. You must continue to satisfy the conditions of your jobseeker’s payment.
    A number of factors are taken into account by a Deciding Officer in determining whether the work involved is voluntary, these include:
    • The aims and standing of the voluntary organisation (they can be national or local voluntary groups)
    • The type of work involved
    • The weekly number of hours worked.
    Examples of unpaid voluntary work a jobseeker may do include assisting youth clubs, care groups, sports groups, and local residents associations.
    If you want to do voluntary work and continue to get Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit, you must apply under the voluntary work option before you start any voluntary work. To apply, fill in application form (VW1), which is available from your Social Welfare Local Office.

Advertisement