Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draper drive spindle needed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do you mean a drive centre like one of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/drive-centres-dept208169_pg1/ ? You'd need a 1MT version according to the manual.

By the way, what happened to the old one? If it's just not gripping very well, a bit of a sharpen with a small file usually helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Alun wrote: »
    Do you mean a drive centre like one of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/drive-centres-dept208169_pg1/ ? You'd need a 1MT version according to the manual.

By the way, what happened to the old one? If it's just not gripping very well, a bit of a sharpen with a small file usually helps.
    Yes that looks like it. It is part number (9) on the link I provided. I bought the lathe secondhand and there is a warp in the (drive spindle) I have no idea if something hit it or if was a bad one to start with but it vibrates and when the bowl attachment is in you can see a deffinate wave in the spindle or whatever it is called. Thank for the reply any idea where to get a draper one ? I have emailed them directly but am waiting for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The spindle is an integral part of the lathe itself, and runs through the headstock and has (in your case) pulleys attached to it which are driven by a belt. Usually these are threaded on the outside to take a chuck and also have a taper on the hollow inside to take accessories like the drive centres I linked to above.

If by "bowl attachment" you mean a chuck, and if this is also wobbling / vibrating as well as the drive centre, then it looks like it's the spindle itself that has been bent somehow, presumably through misuse. You'll only get one of these from the manufacturer themselves I'm afraid, although these kinds of lathes are made in China for a whole raft of different manufacturers to almost identical designs so you may be able to get one from somewhere else if you're lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Your best option may be to get one made up in a local engineering firm. I got something similar made up in a company in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

galwayrush wrote: »
    Your best option may be to get one made up in a local engineering firm. I got something similar made up in a company in Galway.
    I am going to try that any idea on what I could expect to pay ? Roughly ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement