Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving listening exam

Options
  • 02-05-2013 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

So ive heard to improve listening i need to get tapes and listen to the listening tapes but i dont see that helping if i dont know alot of what they are saying. Ive tried to listen to german radio(i do german btw :) ) but i only pick up on a few word or sentences..i really need to improve it any advice and does listening to previous listening tapes actually help your listening i suppose i havnt properly tried it but as i said i dont see how listening to something i cant understand too well help me..has it worked for other people(and btw my vocab is fine cause when the teacher goes through it slower i understand it) so any advice on improving listening exam??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

I'm kinda the same, been trying to improve in the listening part. It definitely helps to hear a lot of German being spoken, the more you're used to it the easier you recognize things... try having a listen to Tageschau every evening or whenever else you get the chance, there's handy news clip which is only like 100 seconds long and has the weather as well, so it's pretty similar to the last part of the listening section:

http://www.tagesschau.de/100sekunden/index.html

Just go on it everyday and try listening carefully, you'll be surprised at how you're able to understand it more clearly after a while :)

Also if you can find any German music, bands etc. give them a listen. This year a native speaker came to our school and we've had an extra class with her every week. She introduced us to a band called Kraftklub, I was able to understand a good bit of the lyrics the first time I heard them. So try listening to German music while figuring out the lyrics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pk9712

curly135 wrote: »
    I'm kinda the same, been trying to improve in the listening part. It definitely helps to hear a lot of German being spoken, the more you're used to it the easier you recognize things... try having a listen to Tageschau every evening or whenever else you get the chance, there's handy news clip which is only like 100 seconds long and has the weather as well, so it's pretty similar to the last part of the listening section:

Just go on it everyday and try listening carefully, you'll be surprised at how you're able to understand it more clearly after a while :)

Also if you can find any German music, bands etc. give them a listen. This year a native speaker came to our school and we've had an extra class with her every week. She introduced us to a band called Kraftklub, I was able to understand a good bit of the lyrics the first time I heard them. So try listening to German music while figuring out the lyrics :)

Thanks a million for great advice ill do that :) Also thanks for introducing me to kraftklub i found a good song called mein leben and really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

curly135 wrote: »

Tagesschau looks great, thanks for that!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I did French but I guess it's the same idea, and as soon as I listened to music in French and looked up the lyrics I improved significantly. I think it's something to do with knowing what they're saying and being able to recognize those words when said quite quickly, plus learning new words of course. Nena, Cro and Silbermond are all really good German musicians, and I'd say my favourite songs by each would be In Meinem Leben, Bye Bye and Durch Die Nacht. That's one of each, see if you like any maybe, if nothing else it's fun! :)

Canard wrote: »
    I did French but I guess it's the same idea, and as soon as I listened to music in French and looked up the lyrics I improved significantly. I think it's something to do with knowing what they're saying and being able to recognize those words when said quite quickly, plus learning new words of course. Nena, Cro and Silbermond are all really good German musicians, and I'd say my favourite songs by each would be In Meinem Leben, Bye Bye and Durch Die Nacht. That's one of each, see if you like any maybe, if nothing else it's fun! :)
    Thanks for advice and introducing to them to me. I listened to all of them there great easy to understand and keep up cause there not talking/singing fast they're catchy too :p Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

I had the same problem when I did my Leaving Cert and I really felt that listening to the past Leaving Cert tapes was really the best way to go about improving. It's important to correct the paper after you've written down your answers as well, as the marking scheme can be quite specific e.g. you have to quote in German to get the full marks in some sections. You say your vocab isn't the problem so that means listening to the tapes and getting used to the speed and accents will definitely help you to understand better :)

dcam wrote: »
    I had the same problem when I did my Leaving Cert and I really felt that listening to the past Leaving Cert tapes was really the best way to go about improving. It's important to correct the paper after you've written down your answers as well, as the marking scheme can be quite specific e.g. you have to quote in German to get the full marks in some sections. You say your vocab isn't the problem so that means listening to the tapes and getting used to the speed and accents will definitely help you to understand better :)
    Thanks for advice. Do you know where i get the previous exam aurals. Are they online?? Or do i have to buy them??

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

I think they're on the State Examinations Commission website, not too sure though if the actual audio file is there or just the question paper. The CD comes with the Edco/Folens past papers though if you have those.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

This webseries is great for German, it has subtitles in German that you can read while listening to it which really helps. I watched a lot of it last year and went up from about 40/80 in my mock aural to 70/80 in the real thing

http://www.dw.de/deutsch-lernen/jojo-staffel-1/s-31564

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    This webseries is great for German, it has subtitles in German that you can read while listening to it which really helps. I watched a lot of it last year and went up from about 40/80 in my mock aural to 70/80 in the real thing

http://www.dw.de/deutsch-lernen/jojo-staffel-1/s-31564

Thanks so much that should help loads:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement