Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Range problem

Options
  • 02-05-2013 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hi all hope this is the right place for this thread. ]

We installed a range about 8 weeks ago and since then we have had problems with it leaking a black liquid down the front of the range under the oven door.

We initially thought it was condensation and that "it will stop eventually" it didn't. We went back to our supplier and she stated that it was "a heat exchange problem" When asked to explain we were told " that a warm range and a cold chimney would result in condensation".

We were advised to get our chimney "seen to" and that if that didn't work to get back to her as soon as we could!

We have now gotten a quotation of 1500 to "fix" the chimney. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of problem and what was the solution?

I didn't say the type of range because I'm not sure if I can but it replaced one we had for 26 years that gave us no bother at all. We would appreciate any advice/answers.

Thanks.

W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Wowbagger wrote: »
    Hi all hope this is the right place for this thread. ]

We installed a range about 8 weeks ago and since then we have had problems with it leaking a black liquid down the front of the range under the oven door.

We initially thought it was condensation and that "it will stop eventually" it didn't. We went back to our supplier and she stated that it was "a heat exchange problem" When asked to explain we

were told " that a warm range and a cold chimney would result in condensation".

We were advised to get our chimney "seen to" and that if that didn't work to get back to her as soon as we could!

We have now gotten a quotation of 1500 to "fix" the chimney. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of problem and what was the solution?

I didn't say the type of range because I'm not sure if I can but it replaced one we had for 26 years that gave us no bother at all. We would appreciate any advice/answers.

Thanks.

W
    What works are required to the chimney.
    What fuel does the range use is it oil gas or solid fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Wowbagger

Sorry I should have said, it's a solid fuel range. The works required on the chimney is as follows;

Drain the heating system and remove the stove
    Break into the chimney breast
    Remove broken pot that is blocking the chimney
    Reline with 6” 904 grade flexible stainless steel pipe
    Backfill with micafill

Cheers

W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Well you clearly need to sort out the chimney - Whoever fitted the range a couple of months ago should of tested the chimney first. I know its hindsight but to it would of been the first job to do.

Having said that the price you have been given seems high to me. I live in Mayo and last year I had a local builder knock into the blocked up chimney breast, fit a new flexible liner and all the adapters, and re-brick the face of the chimney ready for my plumber to fit a big range I had bought. A stanley superstar.

I supplied all the materials and we agreed a price of 650 euros. That was three guys for 3 hours work. Never had a problem with the chimney. I know the price is dependant on which part of the country you live in but I would get some more quotes.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Wowbagger

TT thanks for the reply. Do you think the chimney is the source of the sooty dribble then? and would you mind sending me a pm with the guys number that you used? Im in Mayo.

The difference in price may be explained by the fact that the range is now installed.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

W

PM sent

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

TopTec wrote: »
    Well you clearly need to sort out the chimney - Whoever fitted the range a couple of months ago should of tested the chimney first. I know its hindsight but to it would of been the first job to do.

Having said that the price you have been given seems high to me. I live in Mayo and last year I had a local builder knock into the blocked up chimney breast, fit a new flexible liner and all the adapters, and re-brick the face of the chimney ready for my plumber to fit a big range I had bought. A stanley superstar.

I supplied all the materials and we agreed a price of 650 euros. That was three guys for 3 hours work. Never had a problem with the chimney. I know the price is dependant on which part of the country you live in but I would get some more quotes.

TT

so how much was the material for the job?
    no stove in the way for yours,heating has to be drained on OP house aswell

rightjob! wrote: »
    so how much was the material for the job?
    no stove in the way for yours,heating has to be drained on OP house aswell

I will try to find the invoice for the materials I used.

Draining the system isn't a laborious job..... an hour or so? I take the point that his job includes removing the range and draining the system but the quote he has is to "fix" the chimney so we dont know what that includes.

Still think the price he has is high for Mayo.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Wowbagger wrote: »
    Sorry I should have said, it's a solid fuel range. The works required on the chimney is as follows;

Drain the heating system and remove the stove
    Break into the chimney breast
    Remove broken pot that is blocking the chimney
    Reline with 6” 904 grade flexible stainless steel pipe
    Backfill with micafill

Cheers

W

draining and removing is a laborous jobs,then filling back up?ensuring the system is piped correctly and all rads heating?
    his quote includes everything.

Advertisement