Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I refuse the next taxi in the line?

Options
  • 02-05-2013 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi! I just have a question. As a passenger, if I see a line of taxi, can I choose not to take the next on in the line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

According to http://transportforireland.ie/faq/taxi/,

No. At a taxi rank the passenger may choose to travel in a taxi other than the one at the head of the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you mean yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

haha yes I mean yes! lazy copy and paste job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

made me giggle anyway!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I wish people would more frequently refuse taxis that reek of cigarette smoke, and the worst offenders are the racist old-schoolers that are against "double jobbers" and "plate sharing".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

AngryLips wrote: »
    I wish people would more frequently refuse taxis that reek of cigarette smoke, and the worst offenders are the racist old-schoolers that are against "double jobbers" and "plate sharing".

The few times I am foreced to use O'Connal Street rank I will ALWAYS pick a taxi thats not at the front as the drivers on that rank are the biggest f****** W****** in the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The few times I am foreced to use O'Connal Street rank I will ALWAYS pick a taxi thats not at the front as the drivers on that rank are the biggest f****** W****** in the industry.
    But it would still be on the rank. Unless it changed the Gresh rank doesn't have a front or a back, or any coherent structure whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

They were happy to rent out the plate for a few hours a week before regulation!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you think that way about them, you should stand on the footpath and hail a passing taxi, that's how you really p1ss them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

By virtue of the fact that they are on that rank I don't use them. I'd rather flag another car down in front of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

I remember (before de-regulation) on more than one occasion after waiting an hour on the quay's being told, "I'm not headed that direction" and getting skipped by the taxi driver for the person behind me. Ergo I don't give a sh1te what the rules say, I'll get in what taxi I bleedin like.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

At least those ranks are in a line! Try the rank by Cork bus station.. you walk up to the group of taxi drivers standing there, and if you manage to get their attention a row kicks off over who was there first. On one occasion one driver said to take his taxi, and the others started yelling and gesturing at me for getting into the wrong taxi - as if I had a clue who was there first..

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

I was at that O'Connell St rank a few months ago and I went to jump into whatever taxi I saw as I didn't even cop there was a queue... silly me! And one of the taxi men started screaming abuse at me for the horrific act I just committed >:( I haven't been back there since... Bunch of pr*cks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

ballooba wrote: »
    By virtue of the fact that they are on that rank I don't use them. I'd rather flag another car down in front of them.

why are they so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Mmmm I always thought it was the ones they smoked in myself, strange how wrong I appear to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Best thing to do is to walk past the mountain of Corollas/Avensis/Mondeos and get into the first Merc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Cienciano wrote: »
    Best thing to do is to walk past the mountain of Corollas/Avensis/Mondeos and get into the first Merc.
    Nothing wrong with an Avensis or Mondeo as long as it is well maintained and not knackered, I've been in a few mercs that would drive your spine out the top of your head they were so uncomfortable, shocks worn out and too expensive to get repaired properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

ballooba wrote: »

I like to stand outside the Gresham and use Hailo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Many posts moved to "Taxi rank - bumper to bumper"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

So OP the simplistic view is yes you have the right to select any other taxi on the rank, however, having said that you will need to x-reference to the thread on bumper to bumper ranks http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056942598 where the interest now seems to lie in getting a guinea pig customer to test out the theory that they could refuse you on a Health and Safety issue

• Advertisement
Advertisement