Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro 12: Connacht v Glasgow Warrior, Friday 3rd April 19:45 Sportground. RTE/BBC Alba

Options
  • 02-05-2013 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭

Connacht

15. Gavin Duffy (captain) 14. Danie Poolman 13. Eoin Griffin 12. Brian Murphy 11. Fetu’u Vainikolo 10. Dan Parks 9. Kieran Marmion 1. Brett Wilkinson 2. Ethienne Reynecke 3. Ronan Loughney 4. Michael Swift 5. Mike McCarthy 6. Andrew Browne 7. Johnny O’Connor 8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements (from): Adrian Flavin, Rodney Ah You, JP Cooney, Mick Kearney, John Muldoon, Mata Fifita, Paul O’Donohoe, Miah Nikora

Glasgow Warriors

15 Peter Murchie 14 Tommy Seymour 13 Sean Lamont 12 Peter Horne 11 DTH Van der Merwe 10 Ruaridh Jackson 9 Henry Pyrgos 1 Moray Low 2 Pat MacArthur 3 Jon Welsh 4 Tim Swinson 5 Tom Ryder 6 Rob Harley 7 John Barclay 8 Ryan Wilson (C)

Replacements (from): 16 Doug Hall 17 Ryan Grant 18 Ed Kalman 19 James Eddie 20 Josh Strauss 21 Niko Matawalu 22 Sean Maitland 23 Stuart Hogg

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 55th competition game)
    Assistant Referees: Paul Haycock, John Carvill (both IRFU)
    Citing Commissioner: John Cole (IRFU)
    TMO: Seamus Flannery (IRFU)

This day was going to come eventually, but that doesn't makes its coming any more of a shock to some. Since I can remember, Eric Elwood has been associated with Connacht. Whether as a player, coach or head coach, the man has embodied everything that our province takes pride in. Passion, Loyalty, Bravery and Integrity are all words that have been associated with the man, but that hardly does him justice. While the incoming Pat Lam has been well received and has the coaching pedigree needed to take the team to the next level, Eric Elwood has bled Connacht for a generation and his absence next year will be a departure will be felt by all
    0006777d-642.jpg
    Connacht Legend

Compounding this sense of the end of an era, this will be the last match in a Connacht jersey for the likes of Mike McCarthy, who departs to Leinster next year in search of new challenges and some much deserved silverware. Sadly, it is also the last match ever for Adrian Flavin and Johnny O'Connor, who will retire at the end of the season. These three players have been stalwarts of our team for years, treating us to displays of courage and bravery that will be long remembered.

However, before the reminiscing can begin, there is a match to play and one that will have an effect on all areas of the table. A win for Connacht cements 8th position, equaling last years position and also ensuring we finish the season with our most wins yet and our best away record since the expansion to 12 teams. Outside of our own personal records, Connacht have an opportunity to repay two years (hopefully three) of HC rugby to Leinster by winning. As long as Glasgow do not lose with two BPs, a home win would secure Leinster a home semi final. However Connacht have been shorn of players like Dave McSharry, Denis Buckley, Nathan White and Willie Faloon through injury. The loss of these players, amongst others, is keenly felt in a squad that too often has had injury problems and has problems with depth in certain positions.

Glasgow, however, have something a lot more tangible to play for than records and tributes. A win for Glasgow puts them into second place, giving them a home semi-final should Leinster stumble vs the Ospreys. Given the importance of a win for Glasgow, it is a surprise to see Sean Maitland and Stuart Hogg, two of their better backs, are on the bench.

Both sides will be hugely motivated for this clash, a win is for Glasgow could secure a home semi final, crucial to their chances of success in the play-offs. A losing record in the Sportground since 2007 is also something they would like to address. Meanwhile Connacht will be hugely motivated to send off Elwood et al with winning memories and to underline the improvements that have been made with their presence.

This game is being shown on RTE and BBC Alba. For those that cannot watch the game their will be updates on the Pro 12 website and also on the Connacht FB and Twitter pages

Finally to Eric Elwood, Mike McCarthy, Adrian Flavin, Johnny O'Connor and anyone else who departs the province after this season. Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Glasgow are there for taking. Come on Connacht, with four of Glasgow's best players on the bench you can win this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 loveboatcaptain

Finally.... A Connacht match been shown by RTE 1. Hopefully the result goes our way.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'd just spent the last 20 mins doing a vastly inferior match preview. The only bit of it adds anything is as follows:
    The weather forecast is the usual rain (50% chance at kickoff) and wind (21-26kmph gusts from all directions). Unusually, RTE have chosen to cover the match provided they can locate the Sportsground.

Betting (Outright): Glasgow 2/5, Connacht 2/1, Draw 20/1
    Handicap: 6 Points
    Again, Tiernan O'Halloran is conspicuous by his absence on the team and injury sheets. Perhaps he's 24th man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Jaysus that is ballsy by Glasgow, surely Connacht will be there or thereabouts with the respective teams and the players leaving.

Serious back three to come on for Glasgow though.

Is Henshaw injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Is Henshaw injured?
    Yup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

freyners wrote: »

This day was going to come eventually, but that doesn't makes its coming any more of a shock to some.
    remembered.

Thought was gonna say about us being shown on rte :P

Great up freyners btw

Should be great game, but a lotof emotion, a lot of great servents to the province departing

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Why are Maitland and Hogg on the bench?! It doesn't make sense if they are being 'rested', they would have the week off last week and will have a week off in two weeks. Seymour, VDM and Murchie is still a good back three at the same time.

There is serious impact from numbers 20-23 on the Glasgow bench. Matawalu won Player of the season: http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/13/04/25/matawalu-voted-glasgows-player-season

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rudiger2.0

Correct me if I´m wrong but I thought any Leinster win would give them a home semi regardless of this match.

With that bench from Glasgow, Connacht need to rally early if they´re going to sustain the pressure late on

rudiger2.0 wrote: »
    Correct me if I´m wrong but I thought any Leinster win would give them a home semi regardless of this match.

With that bench from Glasgow, Connacht need to rally early if they´re going to sustain the pressure late on

Yup, for some reason I thought the Leinster match was Saturday but what i wrote is still the same. Connacht win and the Leinster result almost doesnt matter. Leinster win and the Connacht result doesn't matter

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'm as stoked going to this match as I would be for an interpro, I'd say there won't be a dry eye in the house when full time goes and the departed are applauded off the pitch.

Poolman and Vainikolo both 12/1 for first try. Does my memory betray me or does DTHVDM often suffer from being caught out with kicks placed behind him?

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    I'm as stoked going to this match as I would be for an interpro, I'd say there won't be a dry eye in the house when full time goes and the departed are applauded off the pitch.

Poolman and Vainikolo both 12/1 for first try. Does my memory betray me or does DTHVDM often suffer from being caught out with kicks placed behind him?

I remember last time you mentioned poolman at those odds for that bet...:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I remember last time you mentioned poolman at those odds for that bet...:D

what happened???

what happened???

next two games he scored within 3 minutes

next two games he scored within 3 minutes
    Solely because I didn't put any money on. Wouldn't have happened otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Gutted I can't make it down in time, if only it was on tomorrow.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Robbo wrote: »
    Solely because I didn't put any money on. Wouldn't have happened otherwise...

Stay out of the f*ckin bookies so! :D

Great preview freyners, got me really looking forward to this now. Hopefully the team will be well fired up, should be an emotional dressing room. Our bench looks very dodgy, Mul and Browne apart, so we may need a bit of a lead coming up to the hour mark.

Kudos to Kieran Marmion, is that every game this season he's started? Fantastic for a 19/20 year old.

Finally, has the day really come? It will be a bit surreal next year with no Eric :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Dunno if many of ye saw this, but some lad who manages some J1 team near Stephens green wished Eric the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

RTE come for last game of year spend half the preview on Zebre and it shows they haven't a clue about us this year by saying the wind and rain will suit us. TG4 coverage is better and I can only just make out what they are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

its_phil wrote: »
    RTE come for last game of year spend half the preview on Zebre and it shows they haven't a clue about us this year by saying the wind and rain will suit us. TG4 coverage is better and I can only just make out what they are saying

They said that? Patronising much?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

its_phil wrote: »

Glasgow have scored the most amount of tries in the league this season and twice what Connacht have so they could have been talking about that.

But yeah, I know what you mean as I doubt they were.

• Advertisement

Poor tackle by Parks for Van der Merwe try

Glasgow aren't messing around tonight.

If we can stay within 10-13 points with that wind, we'll have a an excellent chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Connacht reminding me or Ireland in the six nations in terms of failing to hold on to a dropping ball in the rain. Could have easily cost us points there.

Seven point gap at half time is far from a disaster with that wind though.

Glasgow have come very close to scoring tries twice. With some great players to come off the bench you have to fancy them to hold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

C'mon lads pick up the scoring, all the other matches are on track for the overs apart from this one :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

lologram wrote: »
    They said that? Patronising much?

In fairness, I don't see how that's patronising. Okay, Connacht prefer to play an expansive game these days. But given that it's almost always windy and pouring in the Sportsground, the Connacht lads would (one would expect) be more used to such conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

connacht have done well to hold it to 10-3. have the wind in the second half. game up for grabs. great to see toh at 11 and boy is he doing well. not only forward runs but his defense has saved connacht on a couple of occassions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Really hope the lads turn this around.

• Advertisement

Great reception for JOC

Advertisement