Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance

Options
  • 02-05-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,
    I'm looking into applying for DA, I have Arthritis in most joints and, obviously, this restricts my movement, etc.

Anyway, reading the forms, I may have encountered a problem.
    I'm 19 and living in Dublin (from Galway) and I rent a room from a couple in their 50s.

I rent the bed, do my own cooking, cleaning, etc.

My question is; is this considered living alone, or are they may cohabitants?

The only interaction we have is to hand over rent, so it's not as if they're my parents (on a side note, how does one go about filling the form in if living with parents, are they cohabitants?).

It asks for a their most recent earnings, their current bank balance and annual earnings. I don't exactly feel comfortable asking them for this information, as I'm no more than a lodger.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

I'd say you're a tennant makes sure you have rent book up to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If you are renting, you can be regarded as living alone. Are you earning at present? How do you afford the rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CallMeFerdia

If you are renting, you can be regarded as living alone. Are you earning at present? How do you afford the rent?

I'm not earning now, I live off savings, quickly running out.

So if I'm living alone, will I need a reference for rent?
    I don't have one, I don't know if they do, as I just hand over my money weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I'm not earning now, I live off savings, quickly running out.

So if I'm living alone, will I need a reference for rent?
    I don't have one, I don't know if they do, as I just hand over my money weekly

You will have to show proof of rent your paying, statement from your Landlord should do.

With Disability Allowance you can have up to €50k in savings and still get the full rate, €188 if eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Op have you been advised you can't work or not to work by doctors,

I need double hip and and a knee replacement and it took over a year to get disability allowance after consultant's refused to allow me to return to work,
    At that 6 weeks after being awarded DA I was asked to take medical re assessment ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement