Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower Installation

Options
  • 02-05-2013 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Wondering if anyone can recommend someone to install electric shower from scratch - plumbing and electric work needs to be done at a reasonable price Waterford City Area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

cats11 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone can recommend someone to install electric shower from scratch - plumbing and electric work needs to be done at a reasonable price Waterford City Area

Cats, only thing I would recommend is get a RECI qualified electrician, i dont think much plumbing work would be needed for an elec shower. There was a person killed recently, I dont have the full facts but possibly due to bad installation. Anyway, id say RECI have list you could look on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cats11

someone quoted 550 parts and labour included anyone know if this would be a fair quote would like to get someone qualified for obvious reasons I think it could be a bit much but then again Im clueless regarding electrics etc. thanxs for all the comments so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

€200 is the electric shower unit alone. Not sure how much work is needed. Is the water connection and separate electricity loop there? If not - seems reasonable.

I have the shower unit just looking for someone to install it, as there was no shower previously all work needs to be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Fezmondo

You may need an electrician and a plumber, depends on the person doing the job. If the shower is a pumped electric you have to plumb it from your header tank in the attic. If it is not pumped then it has to be plumbed into the mains water supply. It will have to be wired back to the fuse board etc which might involve chasing walls etc, which can be messy and costly. Definitely go with a registered guy for the work no matter what

thanxs will deffo be looking for someone registered wouldn't take the chance with kids want a proper job done

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

550 ffs I work in building. And that is just ridiculous for a handy Job for an electrician maybe a small bit of work for a plumber too unless there's pipes there already from where an old non electric was and then the pipes can be used and no plumber needed, but hey if people are Willin to pay they kinda money why not charge it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fezmondo

The actual cost of the bits and pieces needed to do the job would be fairly low,id say bout 50 or 60 euro tops considering you have the shower unit already. A couple of plumbing fittings,a couple of metres of qualplex,the wiring cable,isolating box. He seems to be charging you about 500 on labour which is quite high alright. Realistically it should take a guy who knows what he is doing about 3 hrs to complete start to finish

I got back in touch and explained I had shower unit so was quoted 350 gonna ring a few others today and see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Greg01

Hi there,
    The correct electrical material required for this job will cost you roughly 90 euro. That is if they are using the correct material .This should cover pull cord switch and box, 40 amp rcbo and 10sq cable up to 16 metres. The proper size of the cable is important. Plumbing material should be roughly 25 euro which consists of pipe , gate valve and tank connector. So the price of 300 odd is about right. If you are getting a registered electrician you could ask for a certificate to cover work. You couldn't go wrong with that.

Greg01 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    The correct electrical material required for this job will cost you roughly 90 euro. That is if they are using the correct material .This should cover pull cord switch and box, 40 amp rcbo and 10sq cable up to 16 metres. The proper size of the cable is important. Plumbing material should be roughly 25 euro which consists of pipe , gate valve and tank connector. So the price of 300 odd is about right. If you are getting a registered electrician you could ask for a certificate to cover work. You couldn't go wrong with that.
    Mind me asking. How long should it take?

Hi all,
    Just to let you all know got the shower installed for 340 which I didn't mind paying to a qualified electrician did a brilliant job no wires etc all hidden in walls and managed with no plug cord as had a blank box on landing. Thanks to all for the comments much appreciated
    Catriona

fozz10 wrote: »
    Mind me asking. How long should it take?

Depends on distance and route to fuse board . 3 - 4 hours should cover this job. If starting from scratch

So over 200 for 3/4 hours work.? Unbelievable. Seems electricians prices didnt suffer in the recession

fozz10 wrote: »
    So over 200 for 3/4 hours work.? Unbelievable. Seems electricians prices didnt suffer in the recession

As I said 300 odd take away material 90 for electrical and (roughly) 25 for material leaves around 185 . Also vat comes off whole 300 roughly 40. You are at 140 . Now consider whatever else proper companies have insurance and are members of organizations ie Reci etc also diesel . These are overheads . Now reconsider what you said it's hardly 200 euro for 4 hours work in the back pocket is it

As I said 300 odd take away material 90 for electrical and (roughly) 25 for material leaves around 185 . Also vat comes off whole 300 roughly 40. You are at 140 . Now consider whatever else proper companies have insurance and are members of organizations ie Reci etc also diesel . These are overheads . Now reconsider what you said it's hardly 200 euro for 4 hours work in the back pocket is it
    340 was the figure mentioned. So 180 for 4 hours is insane. I'm aware of what to consider I'm in the buildings 12 year also

The figure I mentioned was 300. I run my own electrical contracting company 15 years. I offered advice which I hope helps people , wasn't looking for job. I would stand by the posts I have written only. Anyway best of luck to you in your business. It can be tough.

The figure I mentioned was 300. I run my own electrical contracting company 15 years. I offered advice which I hope helps people , wasn't looking for job. I would stand by the posts I have written only. Anyway best of luck to you in your business. It can be tough.

ok thought you were referring to the quote of 350 they got. It's hard to get 120 euros for a full day without people goin elsewhere these days. I'm in plastering so it's frustrating to read people are willing to pay an electrician 150/200 for 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jason Morton

Hi there,
    You know your stuff by the sounds of things, I am looking at two different brands Triton & Mira, which is better, i got a quote €400 if i bought either one.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

cats11 wrote: »
    I got back in touch and explained I had shower unit so was quoted 350 gonna ring a few others today and see what happens

350 sounds about right, its very easy for people to shout that its "too high" which is unfair if they have not been to the house to see what is involved.
    We have seen them all, from where the bathroom is quite literally above the fuseboard to tracking from one corner of a house to the furthest possible point away.
    OP get a couple of quotes but make sure they visit to see what is involved first.

Hi
    It's a personal preference in which to choose. Triton and Mira would be the 2 leading brands in electric showers. Personally , and from years of experience I opt for triton I base this on their after sales service which I find second to none. Whenever I have had a query or a problem they have been very prompt in their response.
    Also with the showers mentioned in earlier posts, it was stated that shower is 200 euros. This is a sale price and also only an 8.5 kw shower. Usual retail is 239 euro. The 9.5kw is roughly 269euro and a superior shower IMO .
    You can keep upto date with electrical issues on my blog , which I try to keep interesting and informative at gtrelectrical.com.
    400euro might be little on the high side might be best to get one other quote before choosing and make sure you use a registered electrical contractor can't go far wrong.
    Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a shower installation to be completed in the near future. Recommendations would me much appreciated.

Advertisement