Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dormant account query

Options
  • 02-05-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi.
    I have an account opened approx 13-14yrs ago. I have not made any transactions with this account. (It was opened to avail of the USIT card at the time). 
    I am wondering if there would be any cost incurred by me if I wanted to have this account closed?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi CyaL8r,

Thanks for getting in touch.

There is no charge to close an account. If you contact the branch you opened the account with a representative will be more than happy to check the status of it for you and let you know what steps you need to take to close it. A written request would generally suffice however, if the account is dormant you may need to provide photo id and proof of address. Contact details for the branch can be found here.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭CyaL8r

Hi CyaL8r,

Thanks for getting in touch.

There is no charge to close an account. If you contact the branch you opened the account with a representative will be more than happy to check the status of it for you and let you know what steps you need to take to close it. A written request would generally suffice however, if the account is dormant you may need to provide photo id and proof of address. Contact details for the branch can be found here.

Thanks
    Tara
    That is great. Thanks Tara. 
    Would there be any charges relating to day to day charges etc. for this account. The only transaction on the account would have been opening the account with the £10 punt required at the time. 

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi CyaL8r,

If there has been no transactions on the account there shouldn't be any charges due. We don't charge maintenance fees on our Personal Current Accounts.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭CyaL8r

Hi CyaL8r,

If there has been no transactions on the account there shouldn't be any charges due. We don't charge maintenance fees on our Personal Current Accounts.

Thanks
    Tara

Excellent. That is great news. 
    Thanks so much Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Just to piggy back on this thread - what is the process for reactivating a dormant account? I've an account that hasn't been used for probably about 10-12 years as it was kept for a particular set of transactions that I wanted to keep separate, but I'd now like to use it again.

Or is there a danger that it could have been completely closed rather than just made dormant?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

Hi Radia,

Based on the time frame you have given us, it is highly likely the account is closed. If you contact the branch you had the account with a representative will be happy to advise you if the account is dormant or closed.

If the account is dormant it would be just a matter of going into your branch with photo ID and proof of address and making a small lodgement, this will reactivate the account.

You can find the contact details for your branch here.

Thanks

Seán

Thanks Sean.
    If it has been closed, can it be reopened, or would it have to be replaced by a new a/c with a separate number etc. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

Hi radia,

Once an account is closed it cannot be reopened.  You will have to open up a new account with new details. 

If you would like to open a new account you can contact one of branches to arrange an appointment, you can find the contact details for our branches here .

Thanks

Sean

Ok - thanks Sean.

Advertisement