Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Summer valve"

Options
  • 02-05-2013 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I have open vented gas heating central system. There is a lever in the airing cupboard next to the tank. I am not sure if it is "summer valve". How to find out?

There seems to be one circuit going through the boiler, pump, tank and rads. When I interrupt it how is it that the water still circulates?

I can't find it on the Internet, would anyone know the principle of "summer valve"?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Hi,
    I have open vented gas heating central system. There is a lever in the airing cupboard next to the tank. I am not sure if it is "summer valve". How to find out?

There seems to be one circuit going through the boiler, pump, tank and rads. When I interrupt it how is it that the water still circulates?

I can't find it on the Internet, would anyone know the principle of "summer valve"?
    If you have your heating on and leave this valve open both your rads and hot water will heat , but if you close the valve your rads will not heat , only your hot water.
    Mabey put up a pic of fhe valve and the surrounding pipework and we can determine if in fact it is a summer valve

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jiri Podzimek

P5020010.JPG

The lever is in "closed" position in the right bottom. It heats only the tank in this position. I am just not getting how it works. Logically it should consist of two valves (diverting water into the shortcut). For peace of mind, can you explain it to me, pls?

P5020011.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

P5020010.JPG

The lever is in "closed" position in the right bottom. It heats only the tank in this position. I am just not getting how it works. Logically it should consist of two valves (diverting water into the shortcut). For peace of mind, can you explain it to me, pls?

P5020011.JPG

It only needs one valve as once a valve is closed it stops circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

Im no expert but is the corrosion on those pipes more than normal indicating a leak. Also whoever brazed the fittings burnt the wood and could have burnt down the house if it is a Timer framed house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

phester28 wrote: »
    Im no expert but is the corrosion on those pipes more than normal indicating a leak. Also whoever brazed the fittings burnt the wood and could have burnt down the house if it is a Timer framed house

Thats not corrosion , its flux which was never cleaned off the pipe after soldering .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Jiri Podzimek

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

Advertisement