Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 zone system, Heating hot water??

Options
  • 02-05-2013 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Funny question.

We built in 2009, builder and plumber weren’t great!

Anyway at the moment we have a 3 zone oil system, 1.Ground level 2.Second level 3.Hot water.

Somebody said to me once you turn one of your zones on you should be heating your hot water too and you shouldn’t be using any more oil??? Any truth to that? In theory it makes sense but I’m not sure if the system is set up to do that!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Funny question.

Anyway at the moment we have a 3 zone oil system, 1.Ground level 2.Second level 3.Hot water.

Somebody said to me once you turn one of your zones on you should be heating your hot water too and you shouldn’t be using any more oil??? Any truth to that? In theory it makes sense but I’m not sure if the system is set up to do that!

You heat your hot water when you choose to heat it , why else have it zoned , if you dont select it to heat the zone valve wont open to allow circulation through the coil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Funny question.

In theory that's right once you have your heating on it doesn't take much more to heat your water the extra cost is minimal but as the hot water is on a stat once the hot water is heated it closes its zone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

There is also no point in having the hot water on if you are not going to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

You may of picked me up wrong! At the moment we are using immersion for water so if we have heating on for an hour a day then I may as well heat the water at the same time rather than using the immersion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

You may of picked me up wrong! At the moment we are using immersion for water so if we have heating on for an hour a day then I may as well heat the water at the same time rather than using the immersion!

If that's the way your working the heating that is costing a lot more then use it as you said in your original post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Another possibility- sometimes the "bakelite" lamp holder in a ceiling pendant can smell bad if it has "burned" through age or if a high wattage bulb has been fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Somebody said to me once you turn one of your zones on you should be heating your hot water too and you shouldn’t be using any more oil??? Any truth to that?

Not true, central heating systems don't defy the laws of physics. It's not like the cylinder is capturing heat that would otherwise go up the flue. It is taking the heat from hot water on its way to the radiators. Your system should be capable of running any combination of the 3 zones at any time.

In my own system I find that an hour in the early morning on the water zone provides enough hot water for the day, including showers. Others will be different depending on cylinder size and number of occupants.

Advertisement