Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD stock - what type do you use?

Options
  • 01-05-2013 11:00pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    been using Taiyo Yuden blank CD stock for a while now. Didn't think they would make much difference initially, but wow was I blown away when I heard the difference. So what blank stock do you use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I must try some of those. Who stocks them and how much are they?

I use a Roland VS-1824 and its real picky about what CD brand it will burn onto.

Maxell have about a 50% fail rare. Tesco and PC World own brand 100% fail to burn. I found Mr CD, Verbatim and Kodak to be the best of the cheap end with a 75% burn rate. But I'm aware that this probably a feature of the VS-1824.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Hi Kettleson,
    TBH, i don't remember where I got 'em - they came from the UK. Some proaudio supplier, i found them through the Sound On Sound forum. The shipping was the killer - the spindle of CDs was reasonable enough as I remember. I religiously avoid 'own brand' stock for any purpose as I once witnessed a Mac drive being destroyed by a Tesco CD-R - that was enough to scare me off all the cheapos forever!

There was someone in Dublin doing Taiyo Yuden, they didn't have their ass in gear so I went with the UK supplier. Would have preferred to buy local, so maybe search with a .ie filter to see if they show up. Maybe the Roland has some kind of picky verification process that is causing rejects?

In any event, you'll never go back from Taiyo Yuden as the clarity and coherence is a joy to listen to. I believe some Verbatim are Taiyo Yuden - the blue dye is the giveaway - though you might want to check this out.

Advertisement