Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on my first Android app

Options
  • 01-05-2013 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. I've been learning Android development over the last few months and I've just released my first app. The app is called "Travel Log". Its purpose is to provide an easy way of logging countries that you have been to. It includes some other features as well.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate a review or star rating on the Play Store if you get a chance. The app is free and takes up very little memory. **Please note: the Google Maps feature temporarily not working. I am working on a fix.**

Here is a link to the app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mypackage.travellog&feature=search_result

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

The link is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Draco wrote: »
    The link is missing.

Indeed and searching Travel Log in Google Play brings up reams of Apps seemingly none with that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Sorry I didn't realise I forgot the link! Post has been updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

will download now and test it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

colmulhall wrote: »
    Anyway, I'd really appreciate a review or star rating on the Play Store if you get a chance. The app is free and takes up very little memory. **Please note: the Google Maps feature temporarily not working. I am working on a fix.**
    You may want to get Google Maps to work before seeking reviews.
    Thanks for any feedback!
    Could you explain why you need your permissions? Some are clearly Google Maps and LBS related, but others are a bit less obvious (e.g. modify or delete the contents of your USB storage).

• Advertisement

You may want to get Google Maps to work before seeking reviews.

Could you explain why you need your permissions? Some are clearly Google Maps and LBS related, but others are a bit less obvious (e.g. modify or delete the contents of your USB storage).

That permission basically says that you are giving the application write access to your "external storage" Which could be an SD card, or some storage space that comes with your device.

A fix has been submitted to the store for Google Maps.

That permission basically says that you are giving the application write access to your "external storage" Which could be an SD card, or some storage space that comes with your device.
    I know what it means. What I'd like to know is why you need it?

In short, what do you need the various permissions for?

Oh sorry. All of the location permissions are related to Google Maps, network access permission is the same. The storage permission is included as part of when I was setting up my app for Google Maps V2. It was one of the permissions that I was told I needed. I used this tutorial.

Oh sorry. All of the location permissions are related to Google Maps, network access permission is the same. The storage permission is included as part of when I was setting up my app for Google Maps V2. It was one of the permissions that I was told I needed. I used this tutorial.
    I really do think that Google is going in the wrong direction where it comes to permissions. It may make sense from a developer point of view, but for the user, seeing a big long list of permissions like that is very off-putting.

As to your app, my main criticism is not technical, but conceptual; what are you trying to achieve for the user?

For example, the use of LBS and Google maps is pretty pointless if you're looking for an "easy way of logging countries that you have been to" - you're probably not there any more, after all. A lot of effort for superfluous functionality.

Secondly, when reviewing where you've been, a clickable map of the World would be a lot nicer than a list. In this regard, I'd suggest using a SVG map of the World, as this would allow you to 'colour in' those countries visited by amending the SVG code. Making it clickable is a bit trickier, but unless there's an easier way to do it, you can (off the top of my head) register the coordinates of where a user clicks the screen and should be able to match this against the coordinates of a country on the map.

I'd also expand on the stats; length of stay, business/personal, and so on as well as introduce some form of 'score', such as '% of the World visited' or '% of life spent abroad' and also tie this into the SVG map so that it colour codes places based upon selected stats.

From a technical point of view, there's not much I'd fault, off the top of my head. I might suggest capitalizing the first character of the description input though (adding textCapSentences to the android:inputType attribute for the TextView layout in question will do this).

Advertisement