Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift ideas for teachers?

Options
  • 01-05-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi all :-)

My son is leaving primary school in a couple of months, he is special needs, and has had a massive amount of help from the school. They (on occasion) have gone above and beyond the call of duty.

It's 4 females I'm buying for (as my youngest is also moving into a different room)

The first female is the principal/lovable mammy of the school, so I was thinking of maybe a nice crystal vase maybe?

The second female is about 45 but is funky and I know would absolutely adore a really nice perfume & nice card. I know her favourite perfume.

The third female is only about 28, but flowers & jewellery is a no no. I think she is a bit young for a nice piece of crystal you see.

The last female is his 'one to one' teacher and can not be any more then 20, not yet too bothered about flowers or crystal or perfume.

So, I think I have 1 & 2 sorted, but the 2 younger ones are harder to buy for. I think jewellery is a very personal thing, I'd prefer to steer clear of it.

On the morning they finish up, there is usually a mass, I wouldn't have the time to go get pick up the flowers, nearest flower shop is miles away! (literally)
    Any ideas please? Thanks :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't buy them presents, they really cause unnecessary competition between the kids and put pressure on some parents who can't afford it. From a teacher's point of view, it's unnecessary.

A nice handmade card, or a letter just before Christmas telling Miss how he is getting on in his school would be far more appreciated from a teacher's point of view - especially a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

I was going to give them the presents on the quiet (which is the norm, there is a few of us in particular that give a little something, and we are always quiet sneaky about it! lol)

I know a nice handwritten card from the child is always appreciated, but it's just not enough. They have absolutely bent over backwards for him and to accommodate him. I NEED to give them something! It's just that I have never had to buy for such younger teachers before. I'm at a loss from that aspect :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maybe a voucher towards a restaurant that they could all share in? Don't spend loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Yankee candles tend to go down well, book tokens are always a winner, I think the best teacher gifts I've ever come across were vouchers for the teacher's local cinema, and topaz petrol vouchers. Also you can't go too far wrong with a nice bottle of wine.
    A thank you note and maybe a drawing from the child would be the most important bit of the gift though IMO.

great ideas there dee Mc, I'd never have thought of the yankee candles! Thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

As a teacher of children with special needs for many years, may I add my tuppence worth.

A present is nice but what's more wonderful is a chat, now nearing the end of the year, expressing thanks is really appreciated. It is so uplifting. If you still feel you want give a present - send a cake into the staff room (we love this and it is a cheaper option) and donate something to your favourite charity - telling the staff who you have donated to.
    Believe me we appreciate this so much more than presents.

Aineoil wrote: »
    As a teacher of children with special needs for many years, may I add my tuppence worth.

A present is nice but what's more wonderful is a chat, now nearing the end of the year, expressing thanks is really appreciated. It is so uplifting. If you still feel you want give a present - send a cake into the staff room (we love this and it is a cheaper option) and donate something to your favourite charity - telling the staff who you have donated to.
    Believe me we appreciate this so much more than presents.
    Thanks Aineoil :-)

We'll be having an end of year mass, and I'll be doing a ridiculous amount of baking for that (including pavlovas!) I love to give!
    I suppose we have been blessed with great teachers in the school, it's a small school with only a handful of teachers. We'll miss them an awful lot!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

you know teachers all have bad haircuts and find it hard to use make up so a gift voucher for beauty saloon,

they are all secret alcoholics so bottles booze

and they over eat so boxes of chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

you know teachers all have bad haircuts and find it hard to use make up so a gift voucher for beauty saloon,

they are all secret alcoholics so bottles booze

and they over eat so boxes of chocolate
    Jaysus, you really do hate teachers, don't you?

Advertisement