Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom D1000 Port forwarding and static ip

Options
  • 01-05-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

im trying to port forward i have the modem page open now, whats the difference between external and internal port? for example if i want to open port 7011 what do i put in each? also is server ip address supposed to be my ip?

and about static ip, do i need static ip for port forwarding? if so how do i do that? i do use hamachi, but for one game (Sacred 2) it still needs to be port forwarded, so could i use my hamachi ip in place of setting up static ip?

i will need port forwarding for various gaming things, mainly sacred 2, terraria, minecraft (can do minecraft already) and hosting my mmorpg.

thanks - daniel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Networks in general have 65535 ports.
    If you want to have for example a WEB server at home and you wish to use the default ports for it then
    you would have to forward your external port number 80 to your web server as internal port 80.

If you wanted more security by obscurity then you could forward mostly any port number to your internal port 80.
    In that way if/when your ip address is checked for weaknesses/probed then your web server would not show up.

Maybe a read of This or simlar might also assist

You probably wont get a static IP address from Eircom. You can use a DNS forwarding service like dyndns
    This will mean that you can setup a name for your incoming internet ports instead of using a changeable IP address
    The dyndns will automatically update if your IP address changes so all you need to use is the name that you have chosen.
    It will look something like
    mosher.dyndns.org

Here is a link on your router for port forwarding http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMRqbZRjdn4

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Static IP's are now free on Eircom, just ring them and ask

Advertisement