Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Emigrants Checklist

Options
  • 01-05-2013 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have been following this forum for a while now and intend to emigrate from this great Emerald Isle of ours. I am thinking of staying in Europe and learning a language after finishing my exams.

I was looking to provide a fairly comprehensive thread on what emigrant's need or what they need to investigate when they leave such as:

- Passport (obviously)
    - Driving License (International one maybe required)
    - Apostled Degree
    - Letter from insurance for car maybe needed (no claims bonus)

Please feel free to add loads more!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Pop into your local tax office and see if you can claim anything back.

Also if you only worked part of the year you'll be due money back as you only used some of your Tax Credits.

If your married get your cert Apostiled.

You will not need an 'International Driving license' in Europe (Waste of Money)

This is only sometimes required in Countries where the script is different.

Get your NCB Letter too ... although it might not be accepted where your going.

Stay on the Irish plates for as long as you can, your car insurance is valid Third Party only for as long as the policy is valid (EU Directive)

Don't bother swapping your driving license until its convenient, its valid for as long as its valid and there is no requirement to exchange it (Voluntary), The Irish Embassy give out false information a lot of the time.

Advertisement