Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend abroad moving back to Ireland for College

Options
  • 01-05-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've a friend Harry who finished his leaving in 2010 and moved to the UK looking for work and is currently living with his dad. To make a long story short he hasnt had a job the majority of the time and he's only scraping by. To put it into perspective, a few months ago he asked myself and a friend to loan him 1300euro to pay off rent arrears.

For years now I've been trying to convince him to come back to Ireland for the education oppurtunities, he failed math's in the leaving but at the very least it shouldnt prevent him doing a PLC. He's done all his education here in Ireland so at the time of finishing the LC he was most definitely eligible for a grant (mother and step father are unemployed).

I really want to help this guy because he is a quiet sound lad and I've known him since primary school (I'm in 3rd year UCC now). He just hasn't made good choices (as far as I can see) after the leaving as far as his future is concerned.

So my question is what are his chances if he comes back to Ireland? Will he still be eligible for payed tuition? Can he get an education grant? If so, then what do you think I can say to convince him to move back over here?

I know this post is a big'un but I'd really appreciate any help :)

Cheers lads,

Alex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He would probably be eligible for free fees.

A grant would probably be means assessed on his fathers income (assuming he was living with his father in Oct 2012). He couldnt be assessed independently until he is 23 or over and lives independently.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement