Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BAR-ONE-RACING. good or pathetic bookie ?

Options
  • 01-05-2013 10:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

My "bookie" bar-one-racing have just refused me €100 EW on a horse at 7/2.

I asked if I was being cut off but he said no. Just no EW bets at prices under 4/1.

I then asked him for €50 EW. No go.

I then asked for €10 EW. A big fat no.

So avoid bar-one-racing from now on. I've bigged them up in the past on boards.ie because of some of their specials but this is pathetic.

I've known the owner for over 15 years and this should be embarrassing for him. I remember the day when his mantra was " i'll take ALL bets" but not anymore.

He reportedly landed a €100,000 (one million) gamble / coup (at navan i think) a few years back when he had the last 3 winners on the card but nobody is allowed to try and win money from him. Double standards ?

Maybe he's not the "bookie" he thinks he is/was.

As you can see I'm more than disappointed to be refused €100 EW on a horse at 7/2. And then €50 ew and then €10 ew.

So I can't promote bar-one-racing on boards.ie anymore as a good bookie due to this pathetic behaviour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Overthelast

Did you try another bookie for your bet? Did they take it? Just avoid the one who refused you.

Things must be getting tight if they are down to that level.

Any High Street retail business that can move online has a bleak future unfortunately. The same goes for on - course bookmakers. Online shopping/betting are taking ever increasing shares of total turnover. If your bookie is cutting off the dwindling cash customer base, then he's just accelerating his own demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Don't use them again mate. Simples.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

Did you try another bookie for your bet? Did they take it? Just avoid the one who refused you.

Any High Street retail business that can move online has a bleak future unfortunately. The same goes for on - course bookmakers. Online shopping/betting are taking ever increasing shares of total turnover. If your bookie is cutting off the dwindling cash customer base, then he's just accelerating his own demise.

No. I travel a lot and they are the only bookie I have an account with.

I will set that straight next time I'm in Eire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

I've always found them ok. Sounds like they are restricting you, as oppose to punters at large, on short price ew bets?

Presume they would have taken a win only bet?

Strange choice of bookie though if you are mainly out of the Country.Why have a phone account with them when Powers etc have a far more convenient online presence?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    I've always found them ok. Sounds like they are restricting you, as oppose to punters at large, on short price ew bets?

Presume they would have taken a win only bet?

Strange choice of bookie though if you are mainly out of the Country.Why have a phone account with them when Powers etc have a far more convenient online presence?

Yeah they took €200 win.

When I'm out of the Country my isp is recognised so online is not an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 sundancekid91

I tried to have a €200 double with Paddy Powers on my online account recently. The horses were priced at 5/2 and 5/1. All they would allow me was €1.12. There online traders are a joke! Both horses finished 2nd! I find Bet365 by far the best and they also have a brilliant deposit bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 3beanzz

fangee wrote: »
    My "bookie" bar-one-racing have just refused me €100 EW on a horse at 7/2.

I asked if I was being cut off but he said no. Just no EW bets at prices under 4/1.

I then asked him for €50 EW. No go.

I then asked for €10 EW. A big fat no.

So avoid bar-one-racing from now on. I've bigged them up in the past on boards.ie because of some of their specials but this is pathetic.

There is a very good reason for refusing an EW bet at a price lower than 4/1 and despite what you think it is not to the bookies advantage, it is actually for your benefit that a bet like this is refused.

You need to do the maths to understand what I mean. So you wanted to place €100 each way on a horse at 7/2. If this horse won, you would have won €350 on the win, plus the place at (lets say) 1/4 the odds would have won €87.50 plus your stake back for both the win and place would make it a total of €637.50.

HOWEVER, if this horse had placed 2nd you would have only won the €87.50 plus your stake back for the place which amounts to €187.50. Now I'm sure you are aware that when placing an E/W bet the stake for the win equals the stake for the place i.e. when placing €100 each way on a horse you are actually spending a total of €200 on that bet.

Now consider if you would have placed that bet as a €200 WIN seeing as that's how much you wanted to spend on the horse. If the horse won you would have won €700 plus your stake back which is €900....

So now do you see how pointless it would be to place an E/W bet on a price of less than 4/1. You wouldn't have won any money from a place because you would be down €12.50 and with the win you would have won €262.50 LESS than you would have on WIN only. You see if the horse places, you lose the stake you put on the win and because you only win 1/4 the odds if this makes the price less than 1/1 then you are losing money.... Your bookie was being an honest bookie.

In fact if a bookie has ever accepted a bet like this, you should know you are being taken advantage of because they know their maths and you clearly don't...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

3beanzz wrote: »
    There is a very good reason for refusing an EW bet at a price lower than 4/1 and despite what you think it is not to the bookies advantage, it is actually for your benefit that a bet like this is refused.

You need to do the maths to understand what I mean. So you wanted to place €100 each way on a horse at 7/2. If this horse won, you would have won €350 on the win, plus the place at (lets say) 1/4 the odds would have won €87.50 plus your stake back for both the win and place would make it a total of €637.50.

HOWEVER, if this horse had placed 2nd you would have only won the €87.50 plus your stake back for the place which amounts to €187.50. Now I'm sure you are aware that when placing an E/W bet the stake for the win equals the stake for the place i.e. when placing €100 each way on a horse you are actually spending a total of €200 on that bet.

Now consider if you would have placed that bet as a €200 WIN seeing as that's how much you wanted to spend on the horse. If the horse won you would have won €700 plus your stake back which is €900....

So now do you see how pointless it would be to place an E/W bet on a price of less than 4/1. You wouldn't have won any money from a place because you would be down €12.50 and with the win you would have won €262.50 LESS than you would have on WIN only. You see if the horse places, you lose the stake you put on the win and because you only win 1/4 the odds if this makes the price less than 1/1 then you are losing money.... Your bookie was being an honest bookie.

In fact if a bookie has ever accepted a bet like this, you should know you are being taken advantage of because they know their maths and you clearly don't...

Cant agree with that synopsis. There is nothing wrong with backing each way shorter than four to one. If the horse won happy days . If it is placed you are down 13.50 and not 200

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I'd imagine someone with an online account and posting in this forum would know this already. I could be wrong, I guess.

From my experience of working in a bookies, plenty of people back each way on under 4/1 shots, if they are backing big.

It's not up to the bookie to decide your bet is a bad idea.

The bookie possibly had a lot of exposure on that particular horse placing and didn't want any more liabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Everything in this post is incorrect, i dont know where to start but its all wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭famagusta

This is the funniest thing i've read in a while, good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Imagine, the bookie wouldn't take the bet because they didn't want to take advantage of you.

Those kind, warm hearted bookies. Exploiting punters is the last thing they want.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Please don't drag up zombie threads.

/Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement