Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with toilet filling very slowly

Options
  • 30-04-2013 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

One of the toilets in my house is filling very slowly all of a sudden. Our domestic supply is all pumped and the water pump is running on and off every few seconds trying to fill this toilet. The noise is getting maddening. All other toilets and sinks are running fine, it's just this one toilet. The toilet in question is a dual flush model and is 6 years old. I can't get the lid off the cistern to look inside btw.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

One of the toilets in my house is filling very slowly all of a sudden. Our domestic supply is all pumped and the water pump is running on and off every few seconds trying to fill this toilet. The noise is getting maddening. All other toilets and sinks are running fine, it's just this one toilet. The toilet in question is a dual flush model and is 6 years old. I can't get the lid off the cistern to look inside btw.

Any ideas?

Take a pic of the push button , if its an ideal standard cistern you need to take the 2 buttons out to get at the screw which holds the button to the syphon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

sullzz wrote: »
    Take a pic of the push button , if its an ideal standard cistern you need to take the 2 buttons out to get at the screw which holds the button to the syphon

It's the ideal standard style alright but for the life of me, I can't get the buttons out. Been trying for the past week. The pump running on and off is driving me nuts at this stage but if I switch it off, the water pressure in the house is a trickle.

How do I get this cistern lid off so I can at least investigate if there's a problem in the cistern itself?

If you push down the small button you will see a groove on the inside of the large button which lets you grip to remove the large button then you can remove the small button , when both buttons are removed you will see a large white flathead screw which you need to unsxrew as this holds the button and lid to the syphon .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Sometimes you just unscrew the outer Crome ring of the button and it comes off

Even when I push the small button down, the is nothing to grip on the large button. The silver ring around both buttons won't screw off either:confused:

I'm pretty sure the problem lies with the inlet pipe which may have dirt in it and so it's restricting the water flow into the cistern to a trickle. Getting the damn lid off first is the main problem though.

• Advertisement

Can you not put up a pic

There it is.........the annoying little ........

There it is.........the annoying little ........

Ah so its that type , the whole button screws into the syphon they can be very tough to twist , and are a piece of crap , I think the brand is siamp , I could be wrong though , the ballvalve is prob the same , I think there is a filter in the shank of them ballvalves that gets clogged up , if I was you I would replace the whole lot with a fluidmaster set , thsir balvalves come suitable for high and low pressure .

sullzz wrote: »
    Ah so its that type , the whole button screws into the syphon they can be very tough to twist , and are a piece of crap , I think the brand is siamp , I could be wrong though , the ballvalve is prob the same , I think there is a filter in the shank of them ballvalves that gets clogged up , if I was you I would replace the whole lot with a fluidmaster set , thsir balvalves come suitable for high and low pressure .

Thanks but how do I get these out so I can get at the innards, just try and unscrew the silver ring???

As for them being a piece of crap, well if you knew the a$$hole who built my house, then yes, he probably installed the nastiest piece of sh1t he could get away with.

Yeah twist the outer ring anticlock wise , you might need a grips to grip it with but be careful as the lid marks easy enough, they are a common enough button .

• Advertisement
Advertisement