Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a nurse?

Options
  • 30-04-2013 7:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭

To make a long story short, I've been dying to become a nurse for quite a while :)

I applied to university last term and got in. However, I got a job offer before I found out. My job has good benefits and jobs are scarce so the big decision to go back to school is suddenly ever so frightening...

How do I know if being a nurse will suit me? :o
    Is there anything I need to know or take into consideration? I would love some guidance from nurses :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

most people i know that leave the country after becoming a nurse , i worl in a very big nursing home as a health care assistant and can cound the amount of irish nurses that work the floor on one hand even if i lost 3 fingers ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Terrible time to be a nurse or train to be a nurse. Hospitals are dreadful learning environment at present due to chronic ward overcrowding and staff shortages. Moral is as low as I've seen it in over 10 years working in Irish healthcare, prospects for jobs in Ireland once qualified are paltry. I would not recommend anyone choose nursing as a career at the moment but that's just my personal opinion.

On a positive note, if you want to work abroad it does certainly offer opportunities for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Thank you for your responses :)
    I am not Irish and already living abroad, but the fact that you can work practically anywhere in the world is really appealing. I may give it some more time, I suppose, before leaving a job to start school. I still wonder if I'd fit though. If I'd make a good nurse and have what it takes :)

What's challenging? What's great? Can you get used to dealing with blood? Are patients often angry/sad/demanding? What skills does a good nurse have to have? ... I have so many questions :):o

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭jonathan13

Thank you for your responses :)
    I am not Irish and already living abroad, but the fact that you can work practically anywhere in the world is really appealing. I may give it some more time, I suppose, before leaving a job to start school. I still wonder if I'd fit though. If I'd make a good nurse and have what it takes :)

What's challenging? What's great? Can you get used to dealing with blood? Are patients often angry/sad/demanding? What skills does a good nurse have to have? ... I have so many questions :):o

Its a very..very..very...hard work!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Go on.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Nursing is hard work, but if you think its your calling then definitely try it out!
    It's can be very rewarding work, but there are some downsides. You will have to deal with a lot of difficult situations, and with lots of nasty stuff.

I hope you dont mind lots of poop, vomit, urine, blood, and other disgusting things, because you will be getting wrist deep in them almost every day! and 10 mins later after washing your hands you'll stroll down and eat your lunch without a bother :D
    I'm not trying to scare you, its not as bad as it sounds (really), and you'll become desensitized too it all after a while.

you need a lot of patience, and a cool head as well as being quick to react in tricky situations. But of course, all these are attributes you can learn during your training. Confidence is a big one you need imo.

I suppose you can be expected to be run off your legs for 12.5 hour shifts, do night shifts, be thrown from ward to ward in the blink of an eye. Meet a lot of nice people and become the person who they rely on for the care they need. And then maybe you could meet some not so nice people, who may throw a punch at you in the emergency department. Work in a fast paced environment with other nurses & doctors, who may or may not be the nicest people.

Yes, nursing can get you employment all over the world and places in between! but its a life-long learning experience. After your 3 or 4 years of uni training, there will always be upskillings, specialities and other training courses you will most likely have to do depending on what area you're interested in. e.g. ACLS, ARNP training, etc.
    You can even develop your career beyond healthcare, become a teacher, a lecturer, managerial positions, work for pharaceutical companies, etc.

From my experiences, nurses are a great bunch. They form a strong relationship with each other and develop a peculiar personality. They can smile even in the toughest of situations. Hardworking and intelligent people.

For the record: I'm not a nurse. I'm only a healthcare assistant, but its something I aspire to become some day. What I'm saying here is just my own experiences from what I have seen and heard from the many nurses I know & work with.

Oh, and nursing is most likely nothing like Greys Anatomy. (I havent watched it, I just know a nurse who keeps complaining about it :v)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

For the record: I'm not a nurse. I'm only a healthcare assistant, but its something I aspire to become some day.

Don't say you are ONLY a healthcare assistant. You do an important, difficult and badly paid job and anybody who has contact with patients has a big influence on them. A simple smile rather than a frown can improve somebody's mood.
    By all means aim to become a nurse but don't undervalue your current role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

echo beach wrote: »
    Don't say you are ONLY a healthcare assistant. You do an important, difficult and badly paid job and anybody who has contact with patients has a big influence on them. A simple smile rather than a frown can improve somebody's mood.
    By all means aim to become a nurse but don't undervalue your current role.

I guess I'm just afraid of saying something that isnt accurate, seeing as I dont have the full picture of nursing just yet. If any nurses, doctors, or otherwise on here think theres more to what I said, or less, then please do say so.

And yes, I always try to keep a smile when dealing with clients. If you get bad attitude off somebody, dont take it personally, try and treat all of those you're caring for with the same respect.

Advertisement