Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WildStar - Dark Reavers [DkR] UK&Ireland Guild/Clan

Options
  • 30-04-2013 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

dkr_badge.jpg

Leader: Darkademic
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/darkreavers
    WildStar Page: Wildstarforums.com
    Founded: 1999

Guild Info:
    [DkR] is a long established UK & Ireland based online gaming clan/guild which tends to lean towards PvP whilst maintaining a strong presence in all areas of the games we play.

Although we aim to be highly skilled and thrive on competition, our priorities are enjoyment and a strong sense of community and friendship, and this will not change. Ensuring that all members feel welcome and valued is hugely important - we never want anyone to feel like they are just a name on a list or an anonymous follower.

Many of those who join [DkR] are considered members for life, and will always be welcome to participate in the clan even if they play in other clans at the same time, or if they decide to return after a long absence.

We normally only accept applicants aged 18 and older, and want members who take gaming seriously enough to play competitively, but not seriously enough to rage or get upset about it.

Our rules are mostly common sense and we ask for a reasonable level of activity from all of our members.

Head over to our website for more information or to apply.

Cheers!

Darkademic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I joined them in GW2, found the guild to be fairly rule intensive/wooden with a sprinkling of overly sensitive political correctness.

Maybe i didnt play long enough with them to see them coming into there own but i generally like to have the freedom to do what i want in a game and not be dictated to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Darkademic

Calhoun wrote: »
    I joined them in GW2, found the guild to be fairly rule intensive/wooden with a sprinkling of overly sensitive political correctness.

Maybe i didnt play long enough with them to see them coming into there own but i generally like to have the freedom to do what i want in a game and not be dictated to.

Can you be more specific? What did you want to do that we didn't allow?

Beyond not putting up with things like racism I don't know what you mean by "rule intensive", "overly sensitive" or "politically correct". I think I've only kicked out two people in the guild's entire 14 year history, and I can only think of one or two instances where the rules have even come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Andy Gravity

Not sure exactly where you got that impression from but it certainly hasn't been my experience.

I've been with them since just before GW2 launched and have nothing but good things to say about them, I would highly recommend anyone looking for a guild/clan to join for Wildstar or GW2 for that matter to look up DkR.

Dont get me wrong the type of guild is not a bad guild and DKR does allot of good, i particularly liked the time that you (darkademic) put into making custom avatars for each person.

However as this is an Irish forum i am generally advising people of what it could be like. It wasnt a "what couldn't i do" it was more the general atmosphere that i found very rigid and there seemed to be allot of politics involved. By that i mean things like rank ect had a certain formality and seriousness around them.

However i play with Omphin fairly regularly as ive been following him around MMO's since WoW and he has advised that the atmosphere was created by 1-2 people that have since moved on.

Also its important to note i played early on when the guild started, so i could have viewed the guild atmosphere incorrectly. That said i know there will probably be multiple different folks from the Irish community playing this game, some will suit DKR some wont i just wanted to add some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Chuey

DkR is probably the best gaming community I've belonged to. Friendly, relaxed and adventurous! I too followed Omphin in as GW2 approached and have never looked back following the guys into Neverwinter (tonight!!) and Wildstar in the future. There's also a contingent focused on ESO let's not overlook them.

DkR's green tide is rising and I hope people pop in to see what we're about.

• Advertisement

Dont get me wrong the type of guild is not a bad guild and DKR does allot of good, i particularly liked the time that you (darkademic) put into making custom avatars for each person.

However as this is an Irish forum i am generally advising people of what it could be like. It wasnt a "what couldn't i do" it was more the general atmosphere that i found very rigid and there seemed to be allot of politics involved. By that i mean things like rank ect had a certain formality and seriousness around them.

However i play with Omphin fairly regularly as ive been following him around MMO's since WoW and he has advised that the atmosphere was created by 1-2 people that have since moved on.

Also its important to note i played early on when the guild started, so i could have viewed the guild atmosphere incorrectly. That said i know there will probably be multiple different folks from the Irish community playing this game, some will suit DKR some wont i just wanted to add some perspective.

That's fair enough, just curious where the impression came from is all.

I expect the ranks might come across more strict/formal than they actually are because I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to making everything look professional and tidy -- they're really just to indicate the people who help to organise things, rather than implying "you must do whatever this person tells you to do".

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Joined up in October for GW2 and must say they are a real nice bunch of people. Haven't really had any bother with rules or anything like that, most of the rules there are just common sense really so don't even notice them.

One thing that particularly stands out for me is the Guilds Mumble. Very inclusive and everybody is encouraged to join in, especially during Guild events like GW2's guild missions. Great way to get to know other people in the guild.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I joined soon after GW2 release and had no major problems that i can remember.
    I do recall a few small incidents on mumble or vent where the leader of WvW would shout at people to shut up while they were chatting away and not actually talking about the game and the task at hand.
    While it wasnt directed at me [i usually say nothing anyways] i thought to myself thats waaay out of line and not in line with what i want from my gaming time.
    Also since im more of a pve player in my MMO`s i was always asking in G chat and mumble for dungeon runs and never got to go with the guild as it was always mainly WvW which i didnt enjoy as it was/is just a zergfest imo.
    There always seemed to be a group who ran PVE together and would never ask in G chat for others to come along,when i asked to come i was always told full group.
    Eventually i hooked up with two others in the guild who said they suffered the same faith while seeking PVE groups.

But these issues are minor and expected with such a large guild [i always prefer smaller guilds where i actually get to know people]
    From what i saw/see Dark puts in a huge amount of effort to keep things as smooth as he can and the minor issues i touched on were out of his control really, he cant be everywhere at the same time.
    Id have no hesitation recommending DKR to people looking for a guild.

If only GW2 had something meaningful to do at max level.
    Wildstar looks promising for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

was a member for a few months, seem to have been removed last week. one of my chars i think anyways.

Dcully wrote: »
    I do recall a few small incidents on mumble or vent where the leader of WvW would shout at people to shut up while they were chatting away and not actually talking about the game and the task at hand.

While I wouldn't say shouting is a good way to handle it, it's very inconsiderate to talk continuously when someone is trying to lead or when people are trying to coordinate in voice channels that are specifically set up for it. We're not a super-serious or hardcore guild, but we still want to keep things reasonably organised. It's a bit of a balancing act, but I think we've done pretty well finding a nice middle ground.

Totally agree about WvW and GW2 though. Was great for a while, but zerging gets very boring, and there's not enough content specifically for guilds. Hence why we're looking at WildStar, which promises a lot of content for large organised groups.
    copeyhagen wrote: »
    was a member for a few months, seem to have been removed last week. one of my chars i think anyways.

Yup. Kicked out around 300 members last week. Had a big message on the website and on the guild panel in-game for about a month saying anyone who didn't specifically ask to remain in the in-game guild would be removed from it. Then those who were kicked from the in-game guild who hadn't visited the website in a long time or who had zero posts on the forums were removed from the guild entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yeh i had zero posts on forum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I was a member at launch of GW2 as well, and had a great time (still on the forums, though not often). If i had a pc, or wasn't in Australia, i'd happily join again for Wildstar.

Darkademic wrote: »
    That's fair enough, just curious where the impression came from is all.

I expect the ranks might come across more strict/formal than they actually are because I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to making everything look professional and tidy -- they're really just to indicate the people who help to organise things, rather than implying "you must do whatever this person tells you to do".

Ah I probably took it up wrong so, it's not like I'm against proper structure as I've raided in a few guilds I just took up ranks wrong outside organised events .

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

[DkR] are a great clan with a fantastic structure thats why i'm promoting them here. Sure I came across one or two people i didnt have much time for but I'm old and ugly enough to know that will happen in a larger network of people. There's loads of great people in DkR, some of the funniest guys i've spoken to in ages and plenty of down right decent fellas. I'm looking forward to exploring Wildstar with them as GW2 didnt reward guild play in WvW it only rewarded community zerging,(in tier 1 anyways)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

Regards to been kicked from DkR
    This was done to clear out the dead weight, nothing personnel.
    If you've been removed but wish to re-enter just let myself or another officer know - in-game mails please.

Regards to select few joining PvE groups
    I've always had the stance of 1st come 1st served.
    I always anounce in game "LFX for XYZ dungeon"... The first to respond get in the rest I'm afraid I just reiterate myself "1st come 1st served sorry".
    It just so happens that the usual crowd join mumble which is a comms tool, which allows faster responses rather then the in game chat.
    I've always encouraged people to join and get involved.
    Mumble is just simly faster at shouting out to join a group then the normal chat function.

Regards to shouting on mumble.
    I don't believe there is a defense as such for this,
    Although it is not nice to join a mumble channel and begin to ramble when people are currently using that channel to organize parties.

Regards to ranks.
    Ranks are for simply displaying people who have helped out with the guild and have powers (ability to start guild missions or invite to the guild).
    I still am not clear as to how or why I'm senior officer.... most people just view me as another grunt in the front lines.

DkR is not just for one game but many, don't feel like your restricted.
    I myself play many games that other do not.
    World of Tanks,
    World of War Planes,
    League of Legends - about a dozen in guild play.... good fun on mumble

Coming games would be,
    Wildstar,
    The Elder Scrolls Online
    and many more which people in guild have mentioned.

The Irish tide surged forward and swamped DkR back in Jan + Feb when Darkademic was away and I ruled with an Irish fist.... muahahaha
    We had quite a few Irish individuals join us in this time.
    This community is for anyone and everyone, with English been the primary language.

And my final note is that I have no idea why I wrote all of the above as I forgot why I am writing this....

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

Back on Topic.....

WildStar - Dark Reavers [DkR] UK&Ireland Guild/Clan

Leader: Darkademic
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/darkreavers
    WildStar Page: Wildstarforums.com
    Founded: 1999

Guild Info:
    [DkR] is a long established UK & Ireland based online gaming clan/guild which tends to lean towards PvP whilst maintaining a strong presence in all areas of the games we play.

Although we aim to be highly skilled and thrive on competition, our priorities are enjoyment and a strong sense of community and friendship, and this will not change. Ensuring that all members feel welcome and valued is hugely important - we never want anyone to feel like they are just a name on a list or an anonymous follower.

Many of those who join [DkR] are considered members for life, and will always be welcome to participate in the clan even if they play in other clans at the same time, or if they decide to return after a long absence.

We normally only accept applicants aged 18 and older, and want members who take gaming seriously enough to play competitively, but not seriously enough to rage or get upset about it.

Our rules are mostly common sense and we ask for a reasonable level of activity from all of our members.

Head over to our website for more information or to apply.

Cheers!

Darkademic

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Toglos

I shout on mumble, not because I want to, but because I've had to. It's a very rare occasion, but there is something seriously wrong if I have to. I play hardcore and I like to play well with whoever I'm playing with, which sometimes in the past has required me to raise my voice. It is a last resort but working method for good leadership and us winning large group fights.

Irish in-particular have made great leaders and guild members from my experience, I really hope to see some of your applications on the site for Wildstar!

Regards

[DkR] Toglos
    www.darkreavers.co.uk/apply
    WvW Commander/Senior Officer

You guys really should play Neverwinter while you wait for release of wildstar , it's rather excellent.

You guys really should play Neverwinter while you wait for release of wildstar , it's rather excellent.

Indeedy, we have quite a big group playing Neverwinter.

Darkademic wrote: »
    Indeedy, we have quite a big group playing Neverwinter.

Excellent, more fool me for not following things on the forums.
    On my way over after i post this :)

• Advertisement

Toglos wrote: »
    I shout on mumble, not because I want to, but because I've had to. It's a very rare occasion, but there is something seriously wrong if I have to. I play hardcore and I like to play well with whoever I'm playing with, which sometimes in the past has required me to raise my voice. It is a last resort but working method for good leadership and us winning large group fights.

Irish in-particular have made great leaders and guild members from my experience, I really hope to see some of your applications on the site for Wildstar!

Regards

[DkR] Toglos
    www.darkreavers.co.uk/apply
    WvW Commander/Senior Officer

You Can shout at me anytime Toglos!!!!
    In Fairness some gamers today want to be treated with kid gloves. If someone is acting an ass in your raid and repeats it, then a good strong "wtf you doing!" is in order

Omphin wrote: »
    You Can shout at me anytime Toglos!!!!
    In Fairness some gamers today want to be treated with kid gloves. If someone is acting an ass in your raid and repeats it, then a good strong "wtf you doing!" is in order

Yah but counterpoint to that is their are egotistical assholes who think they can say what they want to others as they are a supposed leader in a fictional game. You treat people like adults first and if that doesnt work then try the kid approach.

Im not saying that happens in DKR but just counterpoint to your off topic point.

Yah but counterpoint to that is their are egotistical assholes who think they can say what they want to others as they are a supposed leader in a fictional game. You treat people like adults first and if that doesnt work then try the kid approach.

Im not saying that happens in DKR but just counterpoint to your off topic point.

So nothing to worry about there, I have equal amount of respect for all members in DkR and equally they have respect for each other. In DkR we all have our strengths and weakness', and I like to accomplish our achievements by working together, as opposed to being an egotistical asshole (Being an ENTJ, I can certainty come across like that to some but it's certainty not intentional). Without the core members in DkR putting in the work, we wouldn't be where we are today.

End of the day, I'm Darkademic's bitch so if there are any problems go straight to him and he'll let me know, and I like to work on where I can improve in my leadership skills and maintain a good relationship with all our members.

In Fairness some gamers today want to be treated with kid gloves.

Was that directed at me? since i was the one that mentioned the shouting.

For the record nobody was acting an ass in raid, people were simply talking about the game and then were shouted to shut up!, a simple request along the lines of "if people want to discuss the game please do it in another channel" would be better served :)

I doubt it, he doesn't like shouting either! :rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't think anyone does in DkR! We do however prefer banter, essential for any healthy community.

For the record nobody was acting an ass in raid, people were simply talking about the game and then were shouted to shut up!, a simple request along the lines of "if people want to discuss the game please do it in another channel" would be better served :)

Wasnt directed at anyone. It was a general statement. I actually had a different personal experience in mind. And i agree with your quote above however i remember several people talking over the commander many times and after a while it even pissed me off and i think the issue has been well blown out of proportion, even dramatically so.

Wasnt directed at anyone. It was a general statement. I actually had a different personal experience in mind. And i agree with your quote above however i remember several people talking over the commander many times and after a while it even pissed me off and i think the issue has been well blown out of proportion, even dramatically so.

I think it's been addressed. :cool:

Aye well lets get the thread back on track so. I can vouch for [DkR] being a great community and I believe people here on boards should come experience Wildstar with some likeminded folk that love gaming and having good fun. here a reminder of how it is

And WvW.

• Advertisement

We worked very closely with [ThUn] when we created the alliance and community which originally populated GunnarsHold in GW2, I'm sure Darkademic would like to elaborate. We have had a strong relationship with them since then and still do as we work exceptionally well together.

Advertisement