Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using VISA Debit OR MasterCard Credit Card in the US

Options
  • 30-04-2013 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Im heading to the US from June this year, for a few months on the J1 Visa.

I have obviously got the Visa debit for my current account, i also have a Classic MasterCard credit card.

Im trying to sort out the logistics for my money when over in America, should i just use my Visa debit as normal? ( I'd assume there would be large fees associated with this, plus the exchange rate?)

What if i loaded all of the cash to my Credit Card account, id assume that would be the same as using my Visa debit ? (fees & crap exchange rates?)

Appreciate any advice/information you could provide :)

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Robert, 

Thanks for getting in touch.

The best thing to do is to have a look at the Visa Debit charges abroad and compare them to the Classic Credit Card charges abroad.  

Visa Debit charges can be found here and Classic Credit Card charges here

Although we're not permitted to give any type of financial advice, you should find the information you need on the above pages.

All the best and enjoy your time in the US. 

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Hi Robert, 

Thanks for getting in touch.

The best thing to do is to have a look at the Visa Debit charges abroad and compare them to the Classic Credit Card charges abroad.  

Visa Debit charges can be found here and Classic Credit Card charges here

Although we're not permitted to give any type of financial advice, you should find the information you need on the above pages.

All the best and enjoy your time in the US. 

Thanks

Billy
    Hi Billy,

Sorry for the delayed response, but i had a follow up question if you don't mind.

If i where to set up an american bank account over in the US, would it be straight forward enough to transfer to and from the two accounts, and would there be heavy fees involved?

I obviously will still have commitments here in Ireland, and will want to transfer money back and forward to honor direct debits etc.

It probably would take a couple days for it to come through too wouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Robert,

Once you have your mobile registered to receive activation codes for Banking 365, you can set up your American account as a payee quite easily. If you are transferring funds from Ireland to the US it can take 3 - 5 working days. You can find more information on international payments here.

You would need to contact your American bank directly regarding transferring funds from America to Ireland.

I hope this answers your question and best of luck with your travels. I am sure you will have a ball.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Hi Robert,

Once you have your mobile registered to receive activation codes for Banking 365, you can set up your American account as a payee quite easily. If you are transferring funds from Ireland to the US it can take 3 - 5 working days. You can find more information on international payments here.

You would need to contact your American bank directly regarding transferring funds from America to Ireland.

I hope this answers your question and best of luck with your travels. I am sure you will have a ball.

Thanks
    Linda
    Thanks Linda, that is most helpful :)

Im sure though, when i head over there in June, i will probably be hitting up this forum for help with something haha :)

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Your welcome Robert.

If you do have any questions that may not have been asked already, we will be more than happy to answer and help as best we can.

Best of luck in America.

Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement
Advertisement