Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower enclosure/tray install

Options
  • 29-04-2013 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I was looking to be getting a walk-in shower setup (i have a window in my bathroom that will rule out have a full enclosure)
    If i say got a shower tray that was 800x1200 and put a side panel on the long side and kept the shower head high (so it was facing down) should i be ok with that?
    this is not a wet room - just a bathroom refurb.
    Would standard tiles keep the water out or would i need anything different for this setup?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jiggerypokery

Imo you'll be mopping up the floor after every shower. It would need to be full enclosure or wetroom. You should consider the wet room option as these days it won't cost the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 colm L

I could just put a panel that would cross the window, it mightnt look the best but it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭dodzy

colm L wrote: »
    Hi,

I was looking to be getting a walk-in shower setup (i have a window in my bathroom that will rule out have a full enclosure)
    If i say got a shower tray that was 800x1200 and put a side panel on the long side and kept the shower head high (so it was facing down) should i be ok with that?
    this is not a wet room - just a bathroom refurb.
    Would standard tiles keep the water out or would i need anything different for this setup?

Cheers
    How far back is the window from the shower wall? A 1.2mtr tray and side panel will of course hold the bulk of the water. A few splashes on a tiled floor ain't the end of the world. Post a pic. Easier to make a call then.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 colm L

dont have pics handy

the window is 62cm back from shower wall (the full wall length is 2m)
    its 152cm up the wall and about 25cm high and 115 wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I know this thread is quite old, but I have a similar query. I am looking to install our 1100 x 760mm shower tray at a corner wall location, see attached photo. From anyone's experience does it need to be fully enclosed.

I was hoping to put one side panel 1100mm only or have the same 1100mm side panel with a 200mm flipper panel but it will be fixed to the 760mm side & not used as a flipper panel. This will give me a 550mm opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Can't speak from experience but personally I'd enclose enclose it fully as otherwise it will be nightmare having to continuously mop the floor after every shower. Also if you intend keeping wood paneling on the wall it will get destroyed.
    That said I'd leave the end open rather than used a fixed flipped panel that only covers a portion, purely from an aesthetics point of view since you'd be mopping and cleaning anyway so an extra 200mm won't make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭greasepalm

When i got my wetroom done i got a bigger unit been bigger than the usual person which gave me a full screen down one side and a slight 10-12 inch protection as its a walk in unit like this.

I used plastic shower sheets on the wall from woodies so no grout.Glass needs to be sealed at base as mine weeped out as no seal was used.I do get splashes of water on wall with rad attached which is 6 feet away.

I had a new rain shower installed omg but also kept my triton electric power shower if needed if there was no hot water.

https://www.multipanel.co.uk/products/walls/neutrals-collection

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Can't speak from experience but personally I'd enclose enclose it fully as otherwise it will be nightmare having to continuously mop the floor after every shower. Also if you intend keeping wood paneling on the wall it will get destroyed.
    That said I'd leave the end open rather than used a fixed flipped panel that only covers a portion, purely from an aesthetics point of view since you'd be mopping and cleaning anyway so an extra 200mm won't make a huge difference.

Thanks Colossus, the attached photos show where I am locating the step up to the shower (replicated using scrap timbers) its approx. 0.5 x 0.5m square & will be tiled too. The plan would be to have it as shown in the 2nd photo with a floor deck to bring it up to the top of the shower tray.

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/hyllen-floor-decking-acacia-20419935/

Hence why I want the flipper panel to close off the rest of the shower at the point where there is no step. Note that back wall will be fully tiled floor to ceiling.

Advertisement