Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you suggest a camera?

Options
  • 29-04-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm starting to do a bit of video (promo videos for the web) and I want to get a good quality camera. I dont have the budget for a tv quality camera (are they around €25,000??) but I want to get a good quality video camera for around €1,000. Someone suggested a second hand XF100 Canon.
    Any other suggestions? Would you concur about the XF100 Canon?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Dgriff wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm starting to do a bit of video (promo videos for the web) and I want to get a good quality camera. I dont have the budget for a tv quality camera (are they around €25,000??) but I want to get a good quality video camera for around €1,000. Someone suggested a second hand XF100 Canon.
    Any other suggestions? Would you concur about the XF100 Canon?
    Thanks

how much quality do you need to produce videos for the web ?

why would you need a TV quality camera ? would an iPhone or android phone do the job ?

if you are serious about this and not just doing the work cheaply (i.e.. undercutting experienced videographers) - make the investment and get a Canon 1D C ...I think they are close to €10K, but anyone that shoots video professionally would easily make that back in the first 12months.

Do you have much experience in video ?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Dgriff

Corkbah wrote: »
    how much quality do you need to produce videos for the web ?

why would you need a TV quality camera ? would an iPhone or android phone do the job ?

if you are serious about this and not just doing the work cheaply (i.e.. undercutting experienced videographers) - make the investment and get a Canon 1D C ...I think they are close to €10K, but anyone that shoots video professionally would easily make that back in the first 12months.

Do you have much experience in video ?

I've actually been doing video work with a samsung and a tripod. I think the camera on the samsung is great for a mobile phone! I am serious about this and have no intention of doing the work cheaply. The 1DC is a serious piece of kit and outside my budget. The Lumix GH3 might be closer to my budget.
    Thanks for your feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You could probably get a used Canon 5D Mark II for around that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,804 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

For that budget you could get a Panasonic GH2 - which would have better video quality than anything suggested so far:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GH2EB-K-System-Camera/dp/B004VQX1XW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367312589&sr=8-2&keywords=Panasonic+GH2

Good enough to make feature films with, let alone TV. In the Zacuto camera shootout - Francis Ford Coppola, and most others, picked output from a GH2 in preference to a $65,000 Sony F65.

http://gizmodo.com/5926324/according-to-coppola-a-700-video-camera-beats-a-65000-one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

• Advertisement
Advertisement