Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First openly gay player in major US sport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Long, long overdue but better late than never.

Hopefully this will mark the coming out of more gay athletes/sportsmen over the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The article he wrote is inspiring

http://m.si.com/2854664/an-nba-player-comes-out/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

He's not the first. He's the first to come out while still playing professionally. There have been loads of basketball, baseball and American football stars that have come out of the closet over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cosmic Maybe

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    He's not the first. He's the first to come out while still playing professionally. There have been loads of basketball, baseball and American football stars that have come out of the closet over the years.

I wouldn't say there's been "loads" but you're right there have been a few, as we all know. This does seem to be really big news though, RTE even had it in their main news bulletins on the radio this morning and Obama released a statement about it! I think the reason it's so significant is that he's still playing a team sport which would be viewed by a lot of people as fairly "macho." His coming out disproves a lot of negative stereotypes and assumptions - mainly that gay men can't play sport and it also shows the whole "locker room" issue to be a load of crap! Personally, I have next to no interest in sport unless Ireland or Westmeath are winning (which is very rare) but I find stories like this to be very inspirational. Before today I'd never heard of Jason Collins. I'll still have next to no interest in his career but I'll definitely feel a little bit of pride whenever I see his name, the same as I do whenever I see anything about Gareth Thomas, Steven Davies or Donal Og Cusack. Personally, I think that's whats most important about stories like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Very well Done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'll still have next to no interest in his career but I'll definitely feel a little bit of pride whenever I see his name, the same as I do whenever I see anything about Gareth Thomas, Steven Davies or Donal Og Cusack. Personally, I think that's whats most important about stories like this.

Don't forget Nigel Owens, the rugby referee. He comes in for a lot of bashing and abuse due to his position and he takes it with grace and in good nature and is always diplomatic. Sometimes some idiots step into homophobic territory as happened recently after the Munster match and it's always impressive to see people defend him and call out the homophobes minutes after they've been giving out to Nigel for terrible calls on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭batistuta9

this is an amateur football club from France, who might be of interest to people here
    Paris Foot Gay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

what about hiv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

what about hiv
    Where the f**k did you get "HIV" from? Is it some sort of homophobic remark based on the man being gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

That's interesting that he's gay but still chose a white girlfriend. It perhaps supports the theory that a lot of black guys choose white women to higher their perceived social status.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

what about hiv

What about it?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement