Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Year Economics. Behind Schedule?

Options
  • 29-04-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm doin Economics in school and as a major fan of Politics, Current Affairs etc. I have to say I'm disappointed with the subject, as frankly it bores the arse off me. My teacher is pretty much retarded, we more or less taught her the entire current economic climate and aside from endless episodes of Prime Time we have done nothing Macro yet. I'm worried that we are behind schedule, we're currently on Land with the other factors of Production left to do this year. Is anyone who is doing the subject way ahead of us or not? And are we way behind schedule? My friend says he'll probably have to grinds next year as the teacher is atrocious. We know it is one of the hardest marked exams in the LC and I'm getting high marks but I'm sceptical about high marks being attained in the LC. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I wouldn't worry! I am repeating the leaving this year and i took up economics ,we are managing it in the year (just about) so you could do it in a year yourself next year if you had to, but you have already done some stuff this year, so you are ahead of where we were :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry! I am repeating the leaving this year and i took up economics ,we are managing it in the year (just about) so you could do it in a year yourself next year if you had to, but you have already done some stuff this year, so you are ahead of where we were :)
    Hopefully we are alright, I hope it gets better when we hit Macro which actually interests me. But the constant episodes of Prime Time are hindering progress I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hopefully we are alright, I hope it gets better when we hit Macro which actually interests me. But the constant episodes of Prime Time are hindering progress I feel.

Yea i'm sure it will .. if it interests you it shouldn't be too hard to do yourself i would just start looking over the macro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Just do it yourself, download the syllabus, all the marking schemes and start doing all the exam questions until you know them inside out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

No, you're just about on schedule. A little bit behind where I would have my fifth years perhaps but certainly nothing to worry about.

As regards finding the subject boring, you need to realise that Economics is a academic discipline and has a strong emphasis on theory.

It's not about pure and simply discussion of current affairs. Yes, this comes into it at times, particularly in the Macro section, but the theory is very important and forms a huge part of the exam.

It becomes even more theory-based if you go on to do Economics at third-level.

• Advertisement

teach88 wrote: »
    No, you're just about on schedule. A little bit behind where I would have my fifth years perhaps but certainly nothing to worry about.

As regards finding the subject boring, you need to realise that Economics is a academic discipline and has a strong emphasis on theory.

It's not about pure and simply discussion of current affairs. Yes, this comes into it at times, particularly in the Macro section, but the theory is very important and forms a huge part of the exam.

It becomes even more theory-based if you go on to do Economics at third-level.

I've no real problem with economic theories or theorists such as Keynes, Hayek etc. I actually find them interesting. It's graphs that bore me to death and every chapter we've done so far has had a hell of a lot of graphs an curves.

Try to think of the graphs as easy marks.

teach88 wrote: »
    Try to think of the graphs as easy marks.

Except they're quite difficult to remember particularly when there are different ones for Monopoly, Perfect, Imperfect, Oligopoly and that's not even supply curves, elasticity curves + demand curves. One things for sure the syllabus writers didn't hold back on the 'oul graphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Lonepiper

Most teachers won't do the entire course in too great a detail I think,it's 8questions you only need to do 4(and 2-3 will always be micro)
    Just get a revision book and go through the stuff you don't do In class yourself,it's not a particularly hard subject like.

Lonepiper wrote: »
    Most teachers won't do the entire course in too great a detail I think,it's 8questions you only need to do 4(and 2-3 will always be micro)
    Just get a revision book and go through the stuff you don't do In class yourself,it's not a particularly hard subject like.

It's not a hard subject, but it's one of the hardest graded exams in the LC with a really low A-rate.

• Advertisement

It's not a hard subject, but it's one of the hardest graded exams in the LC with a really low A-rate.

Yes, they really do mark it down. You'd see lots of great students coming out every year with A2's. With only a few thousand doing the exam every year, you hope that they would be trying to boost the subject but apparently not.

Advertisement