Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Tool Recommendation

Options
  • 29-04-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi there,

Looking for a recommendation for a cicular saw and router. Dont mind paying a bit but wont be for everyday use. It will be joinery work / cutting counter / worktops / MDF / PLY etc.

Would like the circular to be able to cut on the angle. light but good power.

Router - no major requirements. powerful i guess?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithful chippie

I'd buy a handsaw and probably one of the routers out of woodies (black and decker or bosch). That'd be about 100 euro and is enough to be spending on occasional use stuff imo.

cheers
    FC

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

Circular saw .. lidl / Aldi do ones the odd time but any cheap circular saw with a decent enough blade will do a decent enough job.

As for routers, to do worktops you will need a half inch collet which are usually on the higher end routers. Keep an out out of adverts.ie I got a good deal on a half inch SIP router that allows me to do countertops. The Aldi powercraft one is very good for finish work if counter tops is not an issue ... It is light and powerful and only about 30 euro with 3 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Festool would be an ideal circular saw for work top sheets etc. if you wanna spend that money obviously Mikita do good ones also and they do decent routers. You would pick them up on done deal there for less than 200 euro I'd say that router and circular saw. Buy a decent blade for the saw for laminated work tops and sheets. What do you intend using the router for is it for w/tips also or just moulding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I used to go with cheap tools, but changed to proper makes once I wrecked a few. Bar one...

For the circular saw, I got the B&Q "performance". It has outlasted my ryobi by 2 years and is still going strong getting weekly use after about 4 or 5 years. Its so good and cheap I bought a spare a few weeks ago as it was only 40 quid.

For a router, I agree that you will need a half inch collet to do counter tops. Small routers just are not up to the job. If you don't want to spend the money on the half inch, I found the Bosch for 70 quid is great.

Advertisement