Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I will be kicked out on my 18th birthday

Options
  • 29-04-2013 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello everyone,

My parents have informed me that on my 18th birthday (July), I will be kicked out of the house.

I am sitting the leaving cert this year and fully intend on going to college. I have applied for several jobs over summer, but have gotten no replies yet.

I am wondering if I have any entitlements at all with regards to social welfare? Where would I start?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

KickedOut wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

My parents have informed me that on my 18th birthday (July), I will be kicked out of the house.

I am sitting the leaving cert this year and fully intend on going to college. I have applied for several jobs over summer, but have gotten no replies yet.

I am wondering if I have any entitlements at all with regards to social welfare? Where would I start?

Thanks

Students
    If you have just left school you cannot get Jobseeker's Allowance. To get Jobseeker's Allowance you must have been out of school for three months and you must be at least 18 years of age.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

You'd better talk the parents round!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It sounds like a pretty though situation to be in. I did a bit of searching but haven't found any straightforward information for someone in your position.

I suggest you get down to your local Welfare office and ask to talk to your local Community Welfare Officer. Explain your situation to them and see what they say.

Keep your head down for the leaving certificate and do as good as you can. I'd advise focusing on your study and not take a job until your exams are done.

After that, look for work which you can keep up (part-time) while in college. Barwork, petrol station shop work etc (i.e. can give you hours in the evening and at weekends)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Supersiderman

My parents have informed me that on my 18th birthday (July), I will be kicked out.

Jesus, that's extremely harsh. To be honest, if I found a place before that, I'd be gone. That's unbelievable how they could say that. Go down to your local social welfare, community officer and citizen information and tell them that you are being kicked out basically.

To be honest that's disgusting thing to do. Best of luck in both your exams and finding a place. They can't live you homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

That's nice of them!!!!I suppose they've been saving up your children's allowance for at least the past few years to give you when your birthday arrives so you have a nice deposit for an apt and a few bob left over for college fees.Honestly if their going to treat their own child like that you'd be better off getting the leaving over with and getting out,have you any sibling's/aunt's/uncle's who might take you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

My mother did the same to me after my LC. I was very lucky to be in receipt of a student grant so I could just about get by. It's not a nice situation to be in, jobs are hard to come by these days, and even if you were to work, it is awfully stressful being a working student.
    As the previous poster mentioned, try and find a relative that may take you in and offer to make whatever rent contribution you can.

I think it's horrible that some parents kick their own children out of the house before finishing full time education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

Dude your parents are dicks.
    Here's what you do,go to college,ace it.
    Get a top job & earn loads,
    Have a great life,I mean really live it up knowing you done it on your own & last but not least tell your folks you'll be picking their old folks home,
    When they start pissing themselves tell them what they told you,
    "Your on your own"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Dude your parents are dicks.
    Here's what you do,go to college,ace it.
    Get a top job & earn loads,
    Have a great life,I mean really live it up knowing you done it on your own & last but not least tell your folks you'll be picking their old folks home,
    When they start pissing themselves tell them what they told you,
    "Your on your own"

How do you know that the OP isn't an absolute nutcase threatening to kill them everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

callaway92 wrote: »
    How do you know that the OP isn't an absolute nutcase threatening to kill them everyday?

Who know's but we can all throw up as many scenarios as possible as what is their reasonings are but from my experiences on boards I haven't seen too many scumbags on here looking for parental advice,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

have you been smoking in the house or something? must have been something fairly bad anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

have you been smoking in the house or something? must have been something fairly bad anyway...

You must have grown up in a very strict house if a cigarette would be cause for eviction!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭mister bishi

they could turf u out now legally

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

they could turf u out now legally

Yes but the point is that it is unfair to do so while they are still in education, meaning they are incapable of providing for themselves sufficiently yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭mister bishi

A SPELL IN THE ARMY WOULD DO THEM THE WORELD OF GOOD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Treehousetim

No one here has any idea of the story. Lots of parents have to do this as their kids are threatening the safety of other family members through dubious lifestyle or are aggressive or whatever. It's called having boundaries so don't jump to conclusions about the situation without all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A SPELL IN THE ARMY WOULD DO THEM THE WORELD OF GOOD

Yeah, but whats the chances of his parents getting into the army at their age.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement