Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ERC Player of 2013 Shortlist Announced

Options
  • 29-04-2013 6:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

ERC European Player of the Year 2013

Official Shortlist

1. Julien Bonnaire
    2. Jamie Heaslip
    3. Wesley Fofana
    4. Sitiveni Sivivatu
    5. Jonny Wilkinson

Interesting that Jamie Heaslip is picked after all the abuse hes gotten recently. It just goes to show how unjustified it was.

Who is the ERC Player of the Year? 93 votes

Julian Bonnaire
    0%
    Jamie Heaslip
    11%
    .akCrashWintersBenny Cakevanggreendombuyer95CookiemunsterTopOfTheRightTheGoldenAgescryleprince 11 votes
    Jonny Wilkinson
    13%
    TrojanNukemrrpcmelekalikimakatolosencPeadar06tomred1CIARAN_BOYLEDunder Mifflinerrlloydmc3accrashplanKayless 13 votes
    Wesley Fofana
    7%
    ThetasydthebeatSomeFoolsiltirockerdavidpfitzunplayableRightwing 7 votes
    Sitivini Sivivatu
    66%
    dreginSuprSiBig Nelly[Jackass]hullaballooDave_The_SheepJelloeyeball kidbudhabobcolman1212BeardySimurphym7WeleaseWoderickLeeroyJonesduckysauceDick Turnipktulu123GrimeboxandrewdcsGarseys 62 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Good man Jamie!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sitivini Sivivatu
    Any one of the Clermont players for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Heaslip? Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Sitivini Sivivatu
    I'm surprised Heaslip managed to make that list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Ya Heaslip has been good, but certainly not one of the top players in european competition imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Heaslip has been excellent for Leinster all season.

The award is Fofana's to lose in my mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Sitivini Sivivatu
    The award is based on a fairly limited number of games, and off the top of my head he was excellent in Clermont and Exeter, and against Scarlets and Wasps... and Biarritz too of course. He's up there in a lot of their stats too, there's probably a better option somewhere tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Sitivini Sivivatu
    Must be Fofana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Great to see Jamie nominated.

Bonnaire to win it for me.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wesley Fofana
    Jonny, his back must be sore carrying that toulon team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Sitivini Sivivatu
    Fofana for me. He's unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Jamie Heaslip
    Heaslip has been top notch at European level all season, completely justified. Think of the Pool stages and the stats he was pulling in, turnovers, tackles, tries, carries. He has the lot.

But for me it's got to be Bonnaire. Yeah Fofana has been amazing, he's truly one of the best 12s I've ever seen in my lifetime anyway, but Bonnaire's work rate, his ability to turn a game on it's head, his ability to lead, his athleticism, his skill, his hands, his tackling... He's one of the hearts of the Clermont team and considering the pack has been doing all the damage before the floodgates open I'm going with Bonnaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Jamie Heaslip
    Heaslip? That's some joke.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sitivini Sivivatu
    Benny Cake wrote: »

Not really. Take everything else out of it and concentrate on his season in European rugby. He was probably Leinster's best player in Clermont when they should have won. He was very good away to Scarlets and also in the last two pool games when he was making big yards and getting through tonnes of work. The Wasps and Biarritz games, he was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Jamie Heaslip
    Buer wrote: »
    Not really. Take everything else out of it and concentrate on his season in European rugby. He was probably Leinster's best player in Clermont when they should have won. He was very good away to Scarlets and also in the last two pool games when he was making big yards and getting through tonnes of work. The Wasps and Biarritz games, he was excellent.

Call me a purist, but performances against disinterested opposition in the amlin, hardly counts the same as playing in the Heineken.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Sitivini Sivivatu
    Wasn't there a stat after the pool stages that Jamie hadn't missed a tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Bogota wrote: »
    ERC European Player of the Year 2013

Official Shortlist

1. Julien Bonnaire
    2. Jamie Heaslip
    3. Wesley Fofana
    4. Sitiveni Sivivatu
    5. Jonny Wilkinson

Interesting that Jamie Heaslip is picked after all the abuse hes gotten recently. It just goes to show how unjustified it was.

Owen Farrell, that is all.

Hard to pick a winner from the 3 Clermont lads tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

According to the ERC stats Heaslip is the top player.

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/statistics/amlin_opta_index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Owen Farrell, that is all.

Hard to pick a winner from the 3 Clermont lads tbh.

Great to see some of Jamie's excellent European performances rewarded though. Top quality again on Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

Care to elaborate?

Taken from ERC Opta Stats.

Top Forwards
    Player Club Appearances Amlin Opa Index
    Jamie Heaslip Leinster Rugby 7 2103
    Julien Bonnaire ASM Clermont 7 1943

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Jonny Wilkinson
    Dunno, don't think Fofana has been nearly as good this year as he was last year. If Heaslip dominates the Amlin Final, he could well nick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

conor1979 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

Taken from ERC Opta Stats.

Top Forwards
    Player Club Appearances Amlin Opa Index
    Jamie Heaslip Leinster Rugby 7 2103
    Julien Bonnaire ASM Clermont 7 1943

Sure doesnt he have that stud in his tongue, and wear them fancy dan headphones...

:-P

Sitivini Sivivatu
    Call me a purist, but performances against disinterested opposition in the amlin, hardly counts the same as playing in the Heineken.....

Which is why I mentioned him being the best player in Clermont and also performing strongly in other HEC games.

As others have mentioned, his performances were backed up by the facts. If I recall correctly, he was something outlandish in the pool stages at over 50 tackles made and zero missed as well as carrying the ball more times than any other player in the tournament.

Sitivini Sivivatu
    tolosenc wrote: »
    Dunno, don't think Fofana has been nearly as good this year as he was last year. If Heaslip dominates the Amlin Final, he could well nick it.

Nah. Heaslip has been very good but it's a token nomination as they always do for the teams in the ACC final. The winner will be from the HEC. I don't think anyone should look beyond the three Clermont boys. For me, it's Sivivatu. He has been electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    Which is why I mentioned him being the best player in Clermont and also performing strongly in other HEC games.

As others have mentioned, his performances were backed up by the facts. If I recall correctly, he was something outlandish in the pool stages at over 50 tackles made and zero missed as well as carrying the ball more times than any other player in the tournament.

Would you go away with your facts you. The guy is a show pony who regularly goes missing. We all know that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Jamie Heaslip
    leakyboots wrote: »
    Heaslip? Christ.

Good reasoning there lads, didn't think of that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It won't be Heaslip to be honest. Looking back I'm nearly certain that the winning player was on the winning team of the HEC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Sitivini Sivivatu
    Fofana has had a fantastic season, but if JW manages to beat Clermont I think he has a very good shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Sitivini Sivivatu

I really wouldn't say Biarritz were disinterested seen as they won it the year before and had not qualified for the Heineken Cup. Just beaten out the gate by a good Leinster team and after the Nacewa try just lost interest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Biarritz were about as far from disinterested as it is possible to be. They simply weren't good enough.

Advertisement