Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Platelets/Bone Marrow

Options
  • 29-04-2013 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭

Hey, I tried doing a forum search, but couldn't find anything on this - I know the IBTS doesn't allow you to donate blood if you're MSM, but does anyone know if they allow you to donate platelets or bone marrow? I can't find anything on their site except for information on the blood donation ban :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tito Man!

I hate this discriminatory law that exists. :(

I've been donating blood for years, ever since I came over to Ireland (it helped me get over a fear of needles and syringes I once had). Up until about 5 months ago, I was still donating.

But now, I can't. It upsets me a bit, because my blood is one of the rarer ones (O-, the universal donor one) and I was always told how great it was that I was donating by the doctors in the clinic.

It really galls me, because I've only ever been with one man (there was a time when I was going to be with a man, but there was no sexual contact at all) and we're in a totally exclusive relationship and we're both clean.

Someone told me to go in and lie about it and say I was straight, but I don't want to do that at all. If I can't be myself and say that I'm gay/bi and donate, I will not donate then. Which makes me a bit sad, because I liked donating blood. :(

With regards platelets, as it's a blood product, I can't imagine that it'd be any different from blood itself. But don't quote me on that.

Advertisement