Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability allowance in college

Options
  • 29-04-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey all, have a quick question from people who might have had the same issue about college with disability allowance.

So I found out today I have my place in college. Pretty delighted, now I was under the impression I could keep my DA while in third level education and would also qualify for at least the fees portion of the grant. Is this no longer the case? It's been said that I would have to transfer to BTEA but isn't that only paid through the academic year?

Cheers in advance for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Contact AHEAD

www.ahead.ie

They are experts on this

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Korasa wrote: »
    Hey all, have a quick question from people who might have had the same issue about college with disability allowance.

So I found out today I have my place in college. Pretty delighted, now I was under the impression I could keep my DA while in third level education and would also qualify for at least the fees portion of the grant. Is this no longer the case? It's been said that I would have to transfer to BTEA but isn't that only paid through the academic year?

Cheers in advance for any info

You would transfer to BTEA and then in the summer back to Disability etc..
    And yep, you then apply for a student grant and tick the wee box that asks if you are in receipt of the BTEA, once you tick that box they will know only to assess you for fees paid, and if you fall under the relevant thresholds then they will pay the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 first year 2010

HI, I was wondering what happens when you finish a degree. i was entitled to disability allowance before I started and continued on that for three years. I was wondering do I automatically return to disability allowance or do I have to reapply. I got a letter from BTEA and they wanted me to state i was finishing education.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

HI, I was wondering what happens when you finish a degree. i was entitled to disability allowance before I started and continued on that for three years. I was wondering do I automatically return to disability allowance or do I have to reapply. I got a letter from BTEA and they wanted me to state i was finishing education.

Again I would advise contacting AHEAD

http://www.ahead.ie/queries

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement