Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training contract

Options
  • 29-04-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all.

I have kind of a routine question. I searched on the boards but I did not get satisfactory answer.

I have contract from big 4 and it states that I need to get honours masters (50%) and cap 2 exemptions.

I got 60% in semester 1 in my MACC course. Semester 2 exams are 2 weeks away and I am studying for exams but TAX AND Management accounting is stressing me out. I got exactly 50% (weighted average) in MA in semester 1.

What I need to know is, what if I fall below 50% in 1 or 2 subjects. Will I lose my contract completely or I have a chance to get them in supplementary?

If u guys have any experience or know anyone who was in similar situation and what happened?

any thoughts/ opinions?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭thefa

Are you required to get an overall grade in your contract and are worried that these subjects will bring your average down?

I have heard differing accounts of both big 4 firms being flexible and very strict. I know a girl who missed out on a 2.1 and the masters she was getting sponsored for but got accepted into a masters giving CAP2 exemptions so kept her contract so the company in question were flexible enough to sponsor that instead. I imagine it depends on the individual circumstances but I wouldn't give them an easy out. I doubt they would be too lenient given the subjects you are worried about are core subjects that you will have to come across again in professional exams.

I think your time would be better spent studying and getting help in the areas you are struggling with. Confidence in the subjects will come from understanding them and plenty of practice, not seeing do you have a safety net if things go wrong. Make the most of the two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,426 ✭✭✭✭cson

Depends on who your contract is with. I know personally people who had to repeat Masters exams who still got taken on and one particular horror story of a person who failed an exam and was asked to repay the sponsorship they'd gotten for the Masters.

Main thing is to use the time you have and get the head down and study. Give it 100% and then take stock afterwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 headhoncho1

cson wrote: »
    Depends on who your contract is with. I know personally people who had to repeat Masters exams who still got taken on and one particular horror story of a person who failed an exam and was asked to repay the sponsorship they'd gotten for the Masters.

Main thing is to use the time you have and get the head down and study. Give it 100% and then take stock afterwards.

Really, because of one repeat? That sounds almost like breach of contract (assuming they pass the repeat and hence, have successfully completed the masters and fulfilled the requirement of the contract).

OP I'd say don't worry about it. Work as hard as you can; if you have to repeat an exam or two in autumn you should still get your exemptions. The CAI only require you to get 50% in each subject to gain full CAP 2's. If you've got this far with a quite a decent grade you can finish it out. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rabbit123

Thanks everyone for the reply.

after last 10 days of work and study I got better with MA but taxation is still looks out of world to me. Management accounting exams is just 3 days away and I am doing tax (still a lot of computation are wrong). I think I should better revise management now instead of failing both.

my contract is with kpmg though.

Advertisement