Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing CDM

Options
  • 29-04-2013 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Got a call for this in may, can anyone tell me what's involved in the course.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭QBE

corminator wrote: »
    Got a call for this in may, can anyone tell me what's involved in the course.

just googled to see what it was.
    1. FÁS has introduced a Competency Determination Mechanism (CDM) (this mechanism will provide redundant apprentices with the opportunity to demonstrate their skills and knowledge against the occupational standard for the specified trade over a number of days in a FÁS Training Centre) to enable eligible redundant apprentices initially in the trades of Brick & Stonelaying, Carpentry & Joinery, Electrical, Plastering, and Plumbing to progress towards the completion of their apprenticeship.
    Those who successfully pass the Competency Determination Mechanism will be progressed for the award of the FETAC Level 6 Advanced Certificate – Craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 corminator

QBE wrote: »
    just googled to see what it was.
    1. FÁS has introduced a Competency Determination Mechanism (CDM) (this mechanism will provide redundant apprentices with the opportunity to demonstrate their skills and knowledge against the occupational standard for the specified trade over a number of days in a FÁS Training Centre) to enable eligible redundant apprentices initially in the trades of Brick & Stonelaying, Carpentry & Joinery, Electrical, Plastering, and Plumbing to progress towards the completion of their apprenticeship.
    Those who successfully pass the Competency Determination Mechanism will be progressed for the award of the FETAC Level 6 Advanced Certificate – Craft.

I know what the course is, what I mean is what type of work is involved in the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Dont like the sounds of this at all. After establishing the FAS trades reputations so well abroad, we will now potentially be handing out certs to lads who dont have the necessary time on site, some of which will no doubt head to the far corners of the world once they get their papers.

The time on site is the backbone of the apprenticeship, some of the FAS test centers are farcical at best.

I would have no problem with lads getting their papers if they had to sit some good dificult tests, and show some real application of knowledge, but as i said i know from experience how some of these FAS test centers are run and would be afraid its just a cover to get the lads off their books once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

corminator wrote: »
    I know what the course is, what I mean is what type of work is involved in the course.
    I would imagine similar work to whatever trade your trying to finish in order to check your competency, with plumbing they could pick anything from welding, soldering , pipe bending, to checking your knowledge on system design, and best practice knowledge etc. Nobody has got through this course yet so your going to be hard pressed to get an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

As far as I know It involves designing and pricing and installing a complete plumbing and heating system including underfloor and associated controls for a 2 bed apartment containing a bathroom, kitchen ,hot press, etc over ten days

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭QBE

dpofloinn wrote: »
    As far as I know It involves designing and pricing and installing a complete plumbing and heating system including underfloor and associated controls for a 2 bed apartment containing a bathroom, kitchen ,hot press, etc over ten days

Id say once you know what a bath looks like you will pass. Its fcukin FAS running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭gifted

I know for a fact that FAS have a lot of instructors that have nothing to do because of a lack of apprentices...sounds like a plan just to keep the instructors busy.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 corminator

dpofloinn wrote: »

That's what I thought it would be, seems easy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

I don't no what its like for plumbing but this not your normal fas exam the pass rate is extremely low the last time it was ran for electrical out of 16 that done only 3 passed it. the marking is extremely hard as someone from fetac is also issued to do the marking so its not so much to do with fas. they are just hosting it. it usually in voles designing the job picking material priceing it i no with fas everyone thinks its a piece of piss but this test certainly is not. ya need your wits about you to pass it as you only have 80 hours to do what is a big job.

Advertisement