Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching from JSA to FIS

Options
  • 29-04-2013 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭

So my OH just got a job, not a dream one but it's a start. Until now we were both getting JSA @the maximum rate of e343 (2 adults + 1 kid) if I recall correct, and getting e78 Rent Allowance on top of that.
    My question is - what happens next? I'm guessing first we need to pay peeps in SW office a visit and de-register her from JSA. Then I presume my JSA will be re-evaluated, and we will lose Rent Allowance (as this is a FT job).
    I've heard we could apply for FIS (she's paid a little bit over the minimum wage e9.35/hr) any indication what rate of FIS we will be getting?
    We're on the Council Housing list if that makes any difference.
    Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Apply for FIS asap, tell them you will follow the application with payslips. The waiting time is now gone down to about 3 weeks, I hear.

She can sign off JSA online, at welfare.ie, if it was her that was claiming.

If it was you that was claiming for her and the child then you need to inform the dole office that she now has a job and you want to be re-means tested.

Applying for FIS is separate, if you get it they will take the JSA you got in the meantime away from any back payment.

It may be the case that you are better off on JSA and the partners pay in any case you have nothing to lose.

Ball park figure:

9.35 x 39= 364
    FIS limit for 1 child is 505
    505 - 364 * 60%
    = €84 FIS payment.

Sorry, no idea about rent allowance, but make sure you let the CWO know so you dont end up owing an over payment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

As above sign off online https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/CloseClaim.aspx

You may continue to claim JSA while her self works based on €9.35/hour over 40 hours your JSA payment would be in the region of €150 / week.

You will lose your rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Thank you both for your answers. It looks it will be better for me to stay on JSA for now. To be honest I didn't know the difference between working full time and staying on the dole will be that - how to say that - insignificant when it comes to income.
    I'm going to SW tomorrow, we have two separate JSA claims so need to close one and ask the other one to be reassessed.

Advertisement