Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beavers - what should a parent expect

Options
  • 29-04-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi,

My son recently started Beavers (6 weeks ago).

I have some concerns about how things are organised.

My impression so far is that the weekly meetings are not very tightly organised, for example, the kids seem to spend a good deal of time waiting around between activities and the activities themselves are often undertaken without much clarity of purpose.

The people in charge seem to wander in and out of the meeting and can be seen checking their phones and chatting while one person might be running an activity.

Last week the kids were running around a forest on a steep slope near the den. The forest has no shortage of empty beer cans and some old metal spikes sticking out of the ground so my conclusion was that I was glad I was there to see that my son was safe as the kids seemed to have wide scope to venture out of sight. There didn't seem to be a close watch being kept on ensuring that everybody was accounted for when the activity was over.

I spoke to another dad last week and we both agreed that we are concerned with how things are run. He goes along each week because he's not entirely confident in leaving his children unattended. I feel the same.

So my question is, does this sound normal?

I'm reluctant to rock the boat as I appreciate that the leaders are giving their time voluntarily and may have been involved with the scouts for many years, but it seems to me that the standards of scouting Ireland and the Beavers may not be being met here.

any thoughts? What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

If you're not happy with how things are being run then you really need to say it to the Leaders.
    You may find they they have everything under control, if not they should appreciate the feedback if it's open and honest.

YIS
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Definitely bring any concerns to the leaders. Most will have appreciate the feedback and take on board suggestions. Maybe try suggesting that they follow the badge work program a bit more as from your op it doesn't seem like they are giving it much attention. I know there isn't much they can do as beavers, but I know my own beaver group love working on earning their badges! If this doesn't get you anywhere maybe you should make contact with the group leader of the troop and they should be able to sort it out.

Advertisement