Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW1 trenches

Options
  • 29-04-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of taking a trip over to see the WW1 trenches posssibly Ypres & Verdun. Are these the best examples to see?

So how much time should I allow, was thinking of a long wekend and once there should I go on an organised trip to get the most out of the trip?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Vimy is certainly worth a visit, that really gives a flavour of the trenches.

Take a look at www.CWGC.org I think they have guides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Go to Beamont Hamel and see where the Newfies got slaughtered in under an hour...Both German and Canadian trenches have been preserved there and it is all very emotive. The entire area is now, thanks to the generosity of the French Nation, classed as part of Canada, and the docents there are all young Canadians who come over in their own time to pass on the message.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

A good guided tour of a small corner is far better than arriving on your own on a major site. A guide makes it much more worthwhile. A long weekend is fine if you hire a car, it is much easier than trying to synchronise with public transport. As suggested by Fratton F above, the CWG site is very good, see http://www.cwgc.org/about-us/our-partners/battlefield-tours-and-pilgrimages.aspx
    Also have a look at http://www.gbg-international.com/guides_directory.html and the main page on that site
    and http://www.greatwar.co.uk/places/ypres-salient-battle-remains.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

I did a 4 day trip to Ypres a couple of years ago independently. It's very easy to get around the whole area and we thought it was a good introduction to all things WW1. There are plenty of guided tours as well as self guided ones available - we brought Major & Mrs Holts battle field guide & did our own customized trip so I couldn't recommend one specific tour.

The people / sights and just about everything about the place was fabulous, easy to navigate, everyone was so friendly, food was good (nothing spectacular) and good value for money. I would highly recommend it - so much so I intend to go back.

The good folk on here: www.1914-1918.invisionzone.com were really helpful during the planning stages.

Happy trenching OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

I'm heading off on this organised tour on Saturday. I've heard good things about it from family who did the same trip with this company a few years back, so really looking forward to it as it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I'll post a full report here once I come home!

• Advertisement
Advertisement