Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I get the grant ??

Options
  • 29-04-2013 5:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hello,

I got my Grant for first time back around 2 years ago now, it was for a level 7 course ?? Now I failed and left college at that stage and went on JA and did 2 FÁS courses the first was a level 5 course in the Irish language and this year im after completing a level 7 course in computer programs again with FÁS now I am hoping to return to the education system "proper" this year with NUIG and a level 8 course now my question is.....I know that when you fail a level 7 course that you wont get the grant a again until you pass that level (without grant) and go up now will the FÁS course count as me passing that level and should I get the Grant (Just to pay for college fees) this year ??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not 100% sure -

You might be eligible for free fees and a grant and you might not. It's actually hard to say. You should ask NUIG because they might want to charge full fees - 6000 or 7000 as opposed to just the student contribution fee.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭abcdef1

I'm not 100% sure -

You might be eligible for free fees and a grant and you might not. It's actually hard to say. You should ask NUIG because they might want to charge full fees - 6000 or 7000 as opposed to just the student contribution fee.

Well as it stands im eligible for the BTEA and that would do me sound as a weekly allowance, will I just apply for the SUSI grant when it re-opens in mid may ? The FÁS courses im after doing aswell were done through NUIG with the social wellfare paying my weekly allowance...?? Does anyone know where I would find out this info ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi abcdef1,

As long as you're progressing in education then you're entitled to apply to SuSi for a college grant. If you're in receipt of BTEA then you won't be eligible to receive maintenance from SuSi but you can apply for a grant towards your fees.

The new grant system will be opening next month and the regulations will be uploaded shortly. We don't have a confirmed date on when this will occur yet.

I hope this information helps and if you have any further queries please don't hesitate to ask.
    Kind regards,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

SuSi: Reps wrote: »
    Hi abcdef1,

As long as you're progressing in education then you're entitled to apply to SuSi for a college grant. If you're in receipt of BTEA then you won't be eligible to receive maintenance from SuSi but you can apply for a grant towards your fees.

The new grant system will be opening next month and the regulations will be uploaded shortly. We don't have a confirmed date on when this will occur yet.

I hope this information helps and if you have any further queries please don't hesitate to ask.
    Kind regards,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Well technically I am progressing in education even though last year was a FÁS course through N.U.I.G and was paid my weekly allowance of €188 from Social welfare...Its awful confusing in my mind ?? Now few questions what do i need to get and have ready to go when the SUSI grant applications are open again for next year... I'm currently on JA and my father and mother are both on Inability allowance, Will myself and my parents have to get letters from the Social Welfare on the yearly earnings also Im kind of working part time while on JA will I have to get P60....what other forms will I need, Im trying to get evertyhing organised now instead of late on in the year ! Thanks .

Hi abcdef1,

If you need help clarifying any questions please feel free to ask.

The documents SuSI request will depend on how you answer the application form. Basically any information you give in the form they will ask you to back up with evidence.

You have given perfect examples above. If you were working during 2012 then they will ask for P60's and P21's. If you were in receipt of Social Welfare benefits then they will require statements. All financial statements must cover the period of Jan 2012 - Dec 2012. Evidence will be asked for to prove previous education. This will be a letter of attendance. The last generic request for information will be to prove you have been living in Ireland or the EU for three out of the last five years. This will be documents like bank statements, utility bills, college attendance records etc.

I hope this information helps.
    Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Advertisement

Il open this thread again as I believe Susi is open again !

Few questions:

*Both parents are receiving disability allowance will they have to get documents showing there anual ncome and if they do where do they get that ??

*I myself will be applying for BTEA aswell will I need to get a letter off social welfare about my annual income ??

*I opened a SUSI application last year but never finished it as I knew I would not get it, will this effect my application this year ??

Hi abcdef1,

SuSi are trying to help speed up the process by eliminating the documents needed so I can't advise what they will request from you. We do now have links to other government departments so won't be requesting any Social Welfare statements this year.

As no application was submitted then you can go back into the old account and submit an application for the year 2013/14.

If you have any other queries please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Advertisement