Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working 4 hours max every 3 weeks or so...??

Options
  • 29-04-2013 5:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hello,

Im signing back on the JA Tuesday and have my interview my current situation is that I have a kind of "Job" if you could even call it that i bassicially get called in when im needed which is not very often at all ?? Probably get called in early Sunday morning 00:00am-03:00am (Nightclub) and i get paid €40 ?? Now my question is will I inform the Social welfare about this (I think i should myself personally as I want to get BTEA to go back to college and want no hassle) or leave it ?? A lot of people even my employer said that he doesn't think I should say anything as its so little ?? I got my p60 from him for last year...(which was the same situation as above really maybe a bit busier) It said I had earned €1600 and hadnt been taxed at all and I had worked 22 weeks in total now I was on JA at the same time but due to technically I was working Saturday night or early Sunday mornings (00:00am-03:30am) im ok as your allowed to work Sundays. However I did work a few (5) night which where not sundays and forgot to inform them as well to be honest I was told you could earn at least €40 a week and not be obliged to inform them ?? Now well thats my situation.....my question to you all is will I give them my p60 from last year (Dont even think they know about it) and be honest or am I ok and jus inform them about my hours this year as the Sunday thing is gone out the window ??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Don't be under any illusions what social welfare do and don't know. Unless you are getting cash in hand you will be registered as working for your employer and they will request a letter from them or a p45. 1600 works out about 30 euro a week. Tell them you will have less hassle in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭abcdef1

maryk123 wrote: »
    Don't be under any illusions what social welfare do and don't know. Unless you are getting cash in hand you will be registered as working for your employer and they will request a letter from them or a p45. 1600 works out about 30 euro a week. Tell them you will have less hassle in the end.

Dont get me wrong im sure they no but thats why im wondering why haven't they asked for aything ? I have got a p60 from my employer and i am on the books...everything is in order ?? €30 a week is a very small sum I wonder is this allowed or ...?? I have read all the advice on Citzensinformation and still haven't a clue where I stand what im afraid of to be honest is that If i bring it up il lose everything even though Im trying to do right ?? I actually a very honest person and hate having stuff like this over my head...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

I was told in SW office that doing volunteer work you can be paid up to e50/week and they wouldn't care

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    I was told in SW office that doing volunteer work you can be paid up to e50/week and they wouldn't care

Well I wouldn't say mine is volouteer now as its in a nightclub (although the fact that im rarely ever working may count as volunteer work ??) i work collecting glasses and its going through the books no I know its very little but maybe I was thinking will they look as tough I was trying to hide this on them, I was under the assumption they knew everything about you with your PPS and maybe they do but why not have they not brought this up so...?? Also not sure if this is relevant but over the last 2 years of being on JA I have been on FÁS course the those two years always between September and March so really im only on JA for 5-6 months each year ??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Inform the dept what you are doing,let them tell you what they want paper work wise ect.

• Advertisement

mp22 wrote: »
    Inform the dept what you are doing,let them tell you what they want paper work wise ect.

I will do, what do you think will happen ?? I have almost all paper work....P60 and hours sheet from all days worked last year and this which as I said ended up to working 22 weeks, €1600 in total with €40 a shift ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

fl4pj4ck wrote: »

You have to disclose all income to the DSP.

Volunteer work is unpaid work by definition and there are specific guidelines on what kind of volunteering work is permitted which on a jobseekers payment.

To get Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit you must be available and looking for work. If you want to do voluntary work, you must first get permission from a Deciding Officer at your Social Welfare Local Office. You must continue to satisfy the conditions of your jobseeker’s payment.

A number of factors are taken into account by a Deciding Officer in determining whether the work involved is voluntary, these include:

The aims and standing of the voluntary organisation (they can be national or local voluntary groups)
    The type of work involved
    The weekly number of hours worked.
    Examples of unpaid voluntary work a jobseeker may do include assisting youth clubs, care groups, sports groups, and local residents associations.

If you want to do voluntary work and continue to get Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit, you must apply under the voluntary work option before you start any voluntary work. To apply, fill in application form (VW1), which is available from your Social Welfare Local Office.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/voluntary_work_and_social_welfare_payments.html

Little update...Went in for my interview today had an old lady on the otherside of the glass... little or no communication skills basically told me nothing...Gave me thes white slips to post and to fill with"X" or "O" and a letter to give to my employer to sign and fill in, Told her that I was also working last year offered to show her my P60 and my hours sheet from last year and she replied "No dont want to see it keep it and we'll start new from this year" I hope this doesn't come around and bite me in the ass again ?? I'm definitely going to record my next meetings I have in there...?? Anyways few question for you that someone may be able to answer as the old lady wasn't for some reason ?? How will i get paid...?? Will I go to the post office or into my account ?? When should I expect to get paid officially back on since Monday and my mates are getting paid Friday and every Tuesday after that (Mates from my FÁS course which signed back on at the same time but are not receiving stamps) ?? What should I expect to be deducted from my weekly allowance of €100 as I work one night usually Sundays for 4 hours ??

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You will be your jsa by cheque and paid a week behind. Your earnings from employment will be assessed as means and for every day you work x amount will be taken from €100. If you work more than 3 days you will get nothing. You will get a letter in the post letting you know your means and also that a cheque will issue. Cheques usually issue on Friday night and be delivered on Tuesdays. Make sure your employer fills out the form and you return it to sw office.

As to recording meetings....thats not allowed.

I think that the lady in the sw office was wiping the slate clean for want of a better word and getting you to start anew.

eastbono wrote: »
    You will be your jsa by cheque and paid a week behind. Your earnings from employment will be assessed as means and for every day you work x amount will be taken from €100. If you work more than 3 days you will get nothing. You will get a letter in the post letting you know your means and also that a cheque will issue. Cheques usually issue on Friday night and be delivered on Tuesdays. Make sure your employer fills out the form and you return it to sw office.

As to recording meetings....thats not allowed.

I think that the lady in the sw office was wiping the slate clean for want of a better word and getting you to start anew.

Maybe she was it just that she didn't explain anything to me properly to be honest...she was very helpful and gave me alot of the slips with the "X" and "O" but regarding explaining what I was doing and what I had to do not really ?? My employer is a very small business and the lady who does the accounts doesn't work until Fridays I suppose it would be best to drive into town that day with the letter and slips and deliver it myself ?? Wonder will I be waiting long for a response and cheque ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Means are calculated like this Pay minus€20/day worked get 60% of whats left that equals means.

In your case €40 minus 20 = 20 get 60% =€12 means for any Sunday worked.No work no deduction for that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

abcdef1 wrote: »
    Maybe she was it just that she didn't explain anything to me properly to be honest...she was very helpful and gave me alot of the slips with the "X" and "O" but regarding explaining what I was doing and what I had to do not really ?? My employer is a very small business and the lady who does the accounts doesn't work until Fridays I suppose it would be best to drive into town that day with the letter and slips and deliver it myself ?? Wonder will I be waiting long for a response and cheque ??

The sooner you return the form and dockets the sooner your claim can be sorted. Impossible to say how long you will be waiting...it depends on the workload in the office.

mp22 wrote: »
    Means are calculated like this Pay minus€20/day worked get 60% of whats left that equals means.

In your case €40 minus 20 = 20 get 60% =€12 means for any Sunday worked.No work no deduction for that week.

Thanks, That clears up alot !

eastbono wrote: »
    The sooner you return the form and dockets the sooner your claim can be sorted. Impossible to say how long you will be waiting...it depends on the workload in the office.

Will do, Il drive in myself and hand deliver it to be safe ! Will keep this updated !

Advertisement