Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finished my level 7 degree in May, can I claim the dole?

Options
  • 29-04-2013 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I am finished my 3 year course in a few weeks. I am prob going to apply to do the level 8 in September. I work 3 days per week and am 22. Can I claim the dole for the summer?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Will you be working 3 days a week for the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭user12

mp22 wrote: »
    Will you be working 3 days a week for the summer?

Yes I should be. Ill be finished my level 7 degree, and then I have the option of doing the add on year in September if u want. But I have to put my name down for it now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

To get some dole you will need to show a substantial loss of employment ie gone from 5 days to 3 ect.you may qualify but you will need to sign on and see.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

mp22 wrote: »
    To get some dole you will need to show a substantial loss of employment ie gone from 5 days to 3 ect.you may qualify but you will need to sign on and see.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

Thanks for that. I will be working the same days in the summer as I am now. Do you think I will get dole even though I am going back to do the add on year? When can I sign on? I am finished college now but won't be finished my exams for another few weeks yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

user12 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I will be working the same days in the summer as I am now. Do you think I will get dole even though I am going back to do the add on year? When can I sign on? I am finished college now but won't be finished my exams for another few weeks yet

Dole is generally available for people who have had their working week reduced i.e. full-time from 5 days to 3 days. Or for long term unemployed who could not find full-time work, but managed to get part-time work instead. It's very unlikely that you will qualify on the infromation you have provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Substantial Loss only applies to jobseekers benefit casual. You can apply for jobseekers allowance casual which is a means tested payment. Your earnings will be assessed and also your parents if you are living at home as you are under 25 years of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

eastbono wrote: »
    Substantial Loss only applies to jobseekers benefit casual. You can apply for jobseekers allowance casual which is a means tested payment. Your earnings will be assessed and also your parents if you are living at home as you are under 25 years of age.

Regular weekly work would hardly be classed as 'casual'. So still unlikely he would qualify.

If he is working 3 days or less he can apply for jobseekers allowance. This is classed as casual by sw as it is not full time.

eastbono wrote: »
    If he is working 3 days or less he can apply for jobseekers allowance. This is classed as casual by sw as it is not full time.

Even if I am going back to do the extra year?

user12 wrote: »
    Even if I am going back to do the extra year?

Technically its a follow on year and independent of your current course. Are you guaranteed a place in September? Is this place if it is guaranteed subject to you passing the course you are currently on? If so when will you get these results? If all this applies then you cannot say for sure that you will be returning to college in September.

• Advertisement
Advertisement