Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badass Speakers Wanted for intense gaming

Options
  • 28-04-2013 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello.
    I am building a custom gaming PC and I am interested in buying PC speakers.

I never really gave too much thought to it as I always assumed I would just use my headphones but I suppose some good quality speakers could also add to the immersive experience.

Is it worth forking over more money for some quality speakers or not, and if so could anybody please recommend some?

I also have no knowledge in this particular area so I don't really know how much I should spend?
    I am basically on a mid-range to enthusiast budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

What are you going to be doing? Mostly gaming, or will there be music and/or movies as well? Priorities?

Also, surround, or stereo? Any space requirements to be aware of?

Oh, and a budget of some sort would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SICO94

Serephucus wrote: »
    What are you going to be doing? Mostly gaming, or will there be music and/or movies as well? Priorities?

Also, surround, or stereo? Any space requirements to be aware of?

Oh, and a budget of some sort would be helpful.

About 70-80% gaming with the odd movie now and again.
    Mostly want to maximise my Battlefield 3 and Bioshock Infinite experience during firefights and other areas.

As regards to space, there is not really any limitations but not really sure what the difference between surround and stereo is. I'm guessing surround is better and therefore more expensive?

As I said before I don't really have any idea of how much i should spend but I suppose my max would be about €300 with a bit extra if necessary.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Surround being 5.1 (left, right, centre, rear-left, rear right, sub-woofer) vs. stereo, or 2.1 (left, right, sub-woofer).

With that budget, I'd pick up these speakers:
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-memory-gaming-audio-series-sp2500-high-power-2-1-pc-speaker-system-7HWR.html?q=corsair%20sp2500&src=16

And pair it with this sound card:
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-xonar-d2x-7-1-pci-e-ultimate-theatre---gaming-soundcard-118db-snr-provides-hi-fi-class-audio-4ZH5.html?q=xonar&src=16

The sound card isn't strictly necessary; probably more applicable to music or movies, so that's up to you. Those Corsair speakers are some of the best speakers you can get for the money. I've actually been wanting to give them a listen for a while as a possible replacement for my Z906s (sadly no-one I know uses them).

I have actually seen these on a review or two and I was interested thank you.
    I am guessing that these are stereo, probably won't go down this road but how much would a decent surround sound setup cost?

Probably in the region of €350. That's about what the Logitech Z906s that I use cost.

• Advertisement

Probably in the region of €350. That's about what the Logitech Z906s that I use cost.

Cool. Probably more than I need though.
    Like good quality sound but not an extreme audiophile:)

Pretty sure I have it cut down to two options.

Corsair 2.1 SP2500
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836852001
    or
    Logitech 5.1 Z906 (Even though I said I would'nt get them)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121050&Tpk=logitech%20z906&IsVirtualParent=1

I have read all the reviews of each and they all mention their incredible sound quality.
    Obviously the corsair 2.1 isn't as powerful as the Logitechs but they still seem like quality speakers for the money.
    The Logitechs are only £70 more on Amazon
    I love my music and gaming sound quality but am not an extreme audiophile. Will the 5.1 option make much of a difference to me? (Is the 5.1 just overkill?)

Well, arguably, 5.1 is more important for games, as it will give you better positional audio (someone behind you will sound like he's behind you, etc.) but the question arises if you need €350 worth of sound for games. Personally I'd be inclined to think not. The Z906s have quite a few features designed for movies and music, and if you're just not listening to a lot of that type of audio, I think a lot of the benefits of those speakers would be lost on you.

Have a look at the Z506s as well. My previous set of speakers was their older brother, the X-540s, and they were fantastic speakers for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Keep an eye on Adverts.ie for a second hand set of Logitech Z5500's. Amazing bang for buck and great quality speakers (not paper).
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_z5500/

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

Got these myself a couple of weeks ago, incredible sound for the price tag, I kid you not.

amazon.co.uk/Microlabs-FC330-Model-System-Speaker/dp/B0040N3BQI/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1367230166&sr=1-1&keywords=microlabs+fc330&tag=7800651723-21

• Advertisement

Well, arguably, 5.1 is more important for games, as it will give you better positional audio (someone behind you will sound like he's behind you, etc.) but the question arises if you need €350 worth of sound for games. Personally I'd be inclined to think not. The Z906s have quite a few features designed for movies and music, and if you're just not listening to a lot of that type of audio, I think a lot of the benefits of those speakers would be lost on you.

Have a look at the Z506s as well. My previous set of speakers was their older brother, the X-540s, and they were fantastic speakers for the money.

Thank you.
    2.1 may be the way to go then
    The Logitechs would only be €280 off Amazon though(and I use the word "only" very loosely)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have an Asus Xonar D2X paired with Logitech Z5500's and it makes for an amazingly good combo. My 5500's were second hand from Adverts too, not a bother with it at all. I had been using the built in sound card on my mother board, but this one didn't have enough *oomph* to drive the sounds, so I got the Xonar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Got a pair of SP2500's last year, using them with a Xonar DX. Incredible speakers, bear in mind the speakers and sub are on the large size though if space is tight. I had them on stands but they sound better on the desk angled up using the little stands they came with (I turned the speakers on their side as they would block my monitors). You would not regret getting them.

glynf wrote: »
    Got a pair of SP2500's last year, using them with a Xonar DX. Incredible speakers, bear in mind the speakers and sub are on the large size though if space is tight. I had them on stands but they sound better on the desk angled up using the little stands they came with (I turned the speakers on their side as they would block my monitors). You would not regret getting them.

Cool. That helps a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

In my opinion you're better off spending more on a good 2.0 system rather than on those rubbish 2.1 and 5.1 systems with bulky subwoofers and little satelites.

That's true if you're talking about a pair of monitors and a DAC or something, but that's hardly an ideal gaming setup, and caters to a very different user. Also, it's not like the SP2500s are anything close to "rubbish".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

SICO94 wrote: »
    Cool. That helps a lot

No problem.

This is how I set mine up-excuse the crappy phone pic BTW:

20130430_193930.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

That's true if you're talking about a pair of monitors and a DAC or something, but that's hardly an ideal gaming setup, and caters to a very different user. Also, it's not like the SP2500s are anything close to "rubbish".

Yeah it depends on budget of course. In my opinion good active speakers with a good, compact sub like a BK Gemini would blow away even so called decent 5.1 systems.

I'll be honest, I'm just not sold on the whole surround thing. I can understand it in theory, but in reality it hasn't really impressed me. It could even be argued that surround sound is somewhat of a con, although that's probably a discussion for another thread. The way I see it is a good 2.0 setup or a 2.1 setup can in some cases be as good as it gets, and adding more speakers doesn't really improve things.

I have never heard a system where dialogue is enhanced while maintaining low frequencies - I just don't think it can be done. The booms are great and the sound is rich but there's always going to be limitations. Salesmen like to sell us things we don't need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Pug160 wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I'm just not sold on the whole surround thing.

You're playing the wrong games. This is something some game developers put more effort into, others just echo the front sounds. Arma 2 even had a mod that gave positional audio in Mumble

Advertisement