Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to improve hurling skills

Options
  • 28-04-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I want to know does anyone have any tips to improve your first touch at hurling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Have the hurl in your hand for 15 to 20 mins at least once a day hitting a ball against a wall at various heights and practise taking the rebound down and into your hand. Also have a think about the grip of your hurl, do you like a rounder handle or a more squarer one or the thickness of the handle, it has to feel right in your hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

buy a cumas ball online - it warms up and speeds up the longer you practice

find a wall

practice every day - for speed, for touch, for catching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Hi,

I want to know does anyone have any tips to improve your first touch at hurling.

I'd agree with the other post about having the right hurley that fits you.
    Then it is just spend as much time in a ball alley as you can,every spare minute.The more you do,the more your , hand -eye coordination improves.There is no quick fix,it won't happen overnight.Just practice ,practice,practice.
    The more time you spend on it,the better you become.
    Id recommend the Book by Tony Wall,"Hurling" a superb book of wisdom on the skills of hurling.
    There is one piece "The grip" where he explains the rights and wrongs.
    Try and practice with accomplished hurlers if it's possible,lads in the club who would have a good first touch.You will learn from them.
    Even Brian Cocoran when he came back for Cork in 2004,was told by Donal O Grady at he's first training session that he was holding he"s hurley wrong.A guy that was playing intercounty hurling for nearly 15 years prior to that.
    Best of Luck with it lad.

Advertisement