Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Attendent?!

Options
  • 28-04-2013 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have to write a letter about why i should be chosen to "supervise" leaving or junior cert exams...
    Any ideas about what i should include?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LukeT196

because you arent morbidly obese and can walk around for an hour or two without collapsing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't walk around as an attendant. You sit outside the door most of the time.

OP- reliable, trustworthy, punctual, keen etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Reliable, mature and enthusiastic. And you make a great cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

spurious wrote: »
    You don't walk around as an attendant. You sit outside the door most of the time.

OP- reliable, trustworthy, punctual, keen etc..
    Valid need of the money as well?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Valid need of the money as well?

Can't hurt, though you might be waiting on it.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Can't hurt, though you might be waiting on it.

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Prodigious wrote: »
    What do you mean?

They probably take their time to pay exam attendants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

you love your mother, Jesus etc.

you can read or write

your friend of a friend of a local politician

Some places are a bit slow to pay out, depending on whether the arrangement is that the Superintendent pays the attendant or the school does.

Ask your Examinations Secretary what the arrangements are in your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cherrycola096

Thank you to everyone who replied! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I have to write a letter about why i should be chosen to "supervise" leaving or junior cert exams...
    Any ideas about what i should include?

Patient is a big one! you will be sitting around for hours :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

The superintendent HAS to pay the attendant and has to receive a receipt to prove it (i.e., there's a form the attendant signs to say the superintendent has paid him/her). This is in the superintendent's instructions. So, the attendant has to get their money by the time the superintendent is finished. The school is not supposed to have anything to do with it.

When you're working as an attendant, you're not employed by the school - you're employed by the superintendent (on behalf of the SEC).

The only role the school has is to recommend people for the superintendents to engage. The superintendent is instructed to give preference to the person nominated by the school.

The essay you are writing is presumably part of how your school decides who to recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Prodigious wrote: »
    Reliable, mature and enthusiastic. And you make a great cup of tea.

Don't forget about the ability to distinguish a good biscuit from a bad one ;)

OP you could also say that you would like to give back something to the school because it has "done so much for you" :P Also, you could mention that working at the exams gives you extra experience in State exam situations and it is good preparation for next year.

Being an exam attendant can be really tough at times by the way. The first couple of days are grand but after that it gets really tough, you'd be surprised how hard sitting down all day can be. Going to get coffee and attending students going to the toilet are only brief reliefs. If I can advise you on one thing if you get it, try to do some school work there rather than watching movies or playing games the whole time as it's good to do something productive with your time :D

You should get the job no bother if you're a good student and if your application is written well, most importantly grammatically correct, I'd be surprised if you didn't get the job!

I'd say the opposite. First few days are the toughest because its english irish and maths, everyone does them. After that it's quiet enough day to day, and you get into the rhythm of it. If you have a laptop stick a few movies on it and you're sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cherrycola096

kingcobra wrote: »
    Don't forget about the ability to distinguish a good biscuit from a bad one ;)

OP you could also say that you would like to give back something to the school because it has "done so much for you" :P Also, you could mention that working at the exams gives you extra experience in State exam situations and it is good preparation for next year.

Being an exam attendant can be really tough at times by the way. The first couple of days are grand but after that it gets really tough, you'd be surprised how hard sitting down all day can be. Going to get coffee and attending students going to the toilet are only brief reliefs. If I can advise you on one thing if you get it, try to do some school work there rather than watching movies or playing games the whole time as it's good to do something productive with your time :D

You should get the job no bother if you're a good student and if your application is written well, most importantly grammatically correct, I'd be surprised if you didn't get the job!
    Thank you so much for such a detailed reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Nah the first few days are grand 'cos it's still a bit new and the thrill of eating copious amounts of biscuits and watching Leaving Certs freak out (Plath not coming up was memorable) is still fresh, once you hit the middle of the next week it just becomes painful, I was in until the very last day for LC's, it was tough going. Not as in hard manual labour or anything but the boredom of it all. The money was worth it though. :P Good time to read some books though or watch movies, some people I knew studied but I didn't see the point myself.

I was stationed beside a friend, we both had our laptops, and between Saints row 3, skyrim and minecraft, it made for some craic :D

Good times :')

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

They probably take their time to pay exam attendants.

You are generally paid immediately after the last exam you are attending for because the superintendent has to be the one to pay you.

Exam attendant is a great job. Made €500+ when I did it last year.

Advertisement