Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights issues of Shares

Options
  • 28-04-2013 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Have an accounting exam tomorrow and can't work this question out:

The shares of a company with 12 million ordinary shares with a par value of €10 each are currently trading at €20 per share. The company is now organising a one-for-four rights issue at a price of €15 per share. The theoretical post-rights-issue value per share will be:

(a) €10 (b) €15 (c) €20 (d) None of these.

The way I do it (which is probably wrong) is:

Current Shares Value: 12x €20 = €240 Million
    New Shares Value: 3x €15 = €45 Million
    Total Share Values: €285 Million
    Price per share is €285/15 €19 each.

The answer is €20 apparently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Vuzuggu wrote: »

The shares of a company with 12 million ordinary shares with a par value of €10 each are currently trading at €20 per share. The company is now organising a one-for-four rights issue at a price of €15 per share. The theoretical post-rights-issue value per share will be:

If the shares are currently trading at EX-RIGHTS price of €20 then the answer is €20.

Cum Rights the answer is €19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Infoanon wrote: »
    If the shares are currently trading at EX-RIGHTS price of €20 then the answer is €20.

Cum Rights the answer is €19

How do you work out it's €20?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭Infoanon

How do you work out it's €20?

By definition - you are looking for the theoretical ex-rights price - if the € 20 is ex-rights then bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭masoodsarwar

The way I do it (which is probably wrong) is:

Current Shares Value: 12x €20 = €240 Million
    New Shares Value: 3x €15 = €45 Million
    Total Share Values: €285 Million
    Price per share is €285/15 €19 each.

I think u r calculating it right. Its always the weighted average.

if the are trading at 20 now (cum right price) , obviously after the right issue the price will go down as no of shares will increase.

so the answer is "none of these"
    as 19 is not an option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

I think u r calculating it right. Its always the weighted average.

if the are trading at 20 now (cum right price) , obviously after the right issue the price will go down as no of shares will increase.

so the answer is "none of these"
    as 19 is not an option.

I agree. I calculated the answer the same way as the OP without looking at his answer (therefore he must be right :rolleyes: ).

• Advertisement
Advertisement