Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaffold planks as fence

Options
  • 28-04-2013 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering how old scaffold planks would work out if used for a fence. I can get them cheap and could plain them and then cut them in half. Then put them upright with about a 10mm gap between them the whole way around a garden.

Just wondering would they look terrible, last, easy to smooth off etc. To do my garden I was quoted 800 quid for treated 3/4' planks, but with these it would cost about 100 quid.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Unless they are very well treated they wont last to long.Planing and cutting them might not be that easy as there could be plaster, concrete or anything for that matter stuck to them.you could also get nails or screws stuck in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I was thinking that alright. If I was to do it I would over buy the amount I needed and cherry pick the good boards. I would treat them properly after doing it. Its only a fence so not too worried about a little bit of rot as long as they wouldn't crumble. I'm guessing it yellow pine (google told me) which seems to last ok?

The entire garden is about 30 metres and sawmill wants 800 quid for 8ft tall boards which is a lot for just a fence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

gutteruu wrote: »
    Was just wondering how old scaffold planks would work out if used for a fence. I can get them cheap and could plain them and then cut them in half. Then put them upright with about a 10mm gap between them the whole way around a garden.

Just wondering would they look terrible, last, easy to smooth off etc. To do my garden I was quoted 800 quid for treated 3/4' planks, but with these it would cost about 100 quid.

Thanks

The winning garden from Supergarden 2012 and Bloom 2012 was designed and built with scaffold planks.

I took some pics of the garden and spoke to the couple in question.

Fantastic use of reclaimed scaffold planks imo.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Gutteruu,
    what sort of quantity and size do you need the boards ? €800 sounds expensive. I have a contact here, let me know will see what I can do
    NW
    Scaffold planks that are out in weather all the time, you dont know until you cut them, they could be bad inside?. A properly treated timber should last for at least 15yrs +

The wall is 6ft high and is about 30 metres total (sides and back). I want them 8ft tall as my house looks straight into neighbours. Thin boards, wide boards, it doesn't really matter. I could put a 2 ft piece on the top of the wall, but I hate the way that looks to be honest.

• Advertisement

Hi
    Prices boards and I could buy 200 boards 2.4m x 150 x22 rounded top for €520 inc vat collected ex yard. These boards are treated as well. It will take slightly less when you take the gap between boards.
    Nw

Thanks for that. Its still a fair whack of change for a fence but a lot cheaper than my fella. Wife was at me again as we're expecting a new addition to the family in a few weeks so I might hang on until later in the summer.

Hi Gutteruu
    Put up photo of garden and i will get a better idea what you are trying to do. I do a lot of that type of work
    NW

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Where are you based? A sawmill close to me sells fencing materials, posts, rails, you name it he'd cut it and I find him very cheap. He'd have a few different wooden posts and rails but worth checking out. I have his number here somewhere if you want me to PM it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

20120710172501.jpg

This is looking to one side. Other side is identical. I'm based in Ballinasloe. By the time you ad in posts, rails etc. over 600 is a fair chunk of change for just a fence. Wife would never bite. The thin shiplap panels would be fine, but everything only goes to 6ft. I would like 8 feet to give privacy from and for neighbours.

The alternative is put binoculars facing there house. The problem then becomes his.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

nacimroc wrote: »
    20120710172501.jpg

This is looking to one side. Other side is identical. I'm based in Ballinasloe. By the time you ad in posts, rails etc. over 600 is a fair chunk of change for just a fence. Wife would never bite. The thin shiplap panels would be fine, but everything only goes to 6ft. I would like 8 feet to give privacy from and for neighbours.

The alternative is put binoculars facing there house. The problem then becomes his.:D

Shiplap typically has at least 1 one foot gravel board on the bottom, you could go for two...but will be expensive and seems overkill if you are fixing directly to the existing wall?

I think Id paint the wall and then plant...

Painting is fine, but its blocking out my neighbours I would prefer. Planting trees/shrubs does take time. Maybe I will just go with paint and a piece of wood across the top. (posted last time under brothers acc but he won't mind)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

gutteruu wrote: »
    Painting is fine, but its blocking out my neighbours I would prefer. Planting trees/shrubs does take time. Maybe I will just go with paint and a piece of wood across the top. (posted last time under brothers acc but he won't mind)

Paint the walls 1st with a nice colour of exterior paint.

Some 12 feet long lengths of composite decking.

Some composite uprights.

Drill and express nail the uprights to the wall,say 12-18 inches above existing wall height.

Screw the composite decking to the uprights up to your desired height.

Job done,and never any need to paint or stain them.

They will last forever.

Then underplant with some nice plants and shrubs to give some nice contrast

Simples:)

Advertisement