Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crap water supply - what filter?

Options
  • 28-04-2013 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

We are on what was a council water scheme no idea who looks after it now but they are making just as much if not more of a mess of it than the council did.

We get usable water for 3 to 6 months then they decide they need to scour the pipes and after that we get green water with fine particles in it, that is full of air. I'd complain but all that happens is I then get green water, with fine particles in it, that is full of air and stinks really badly of chlorine. Currently if you pull the flush in the toilet it looks like someone has just p!ssed in it.

So is there any filter that will deal with some of the issues, I'd be putting it where the supply comes in and want to remove the particulate matter and if possible some of the green colour. I doubt I can do anything about the air but it would be nice to reduce the banging noise in the pipes when the taps are opened and if I decide to sort out the chlorine stink then I'll put an additional activated charcoal filter on the kitchen cold tap. Currently the water looks so bad that we are even using bottled water for the dogs and it takes at least a week for the water to start to clear up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

So this is what comes out of the tap....

251353.jpg

And this is the crud that settles out after a couple of hours standing...

251354.jpg

The other bottle is just Lidl bottled water as a comparison for clarity.

Just catching some of the green crud that you can see in the second picture in a filter would be a good start as obviously that ends up settling out in the hot water header tank and the toilet cisterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

You could easilly spend a lot of money on bad advise, ring S W Carthy ( sorry dont have a number) & they will put you on the right road.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

What is your location? That looks like a pretty awful water supply alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Down in Waterford, its not bad most of the time say 11 months out of 12 but for the other month it can be minging. Putting an activated carbon filter on the sink would sort out the drinking water side of things but imagine a shower or bath in that stuff? Then if I complain all that will happen is they will open the valve at the end of the pipe run and flush it through and add a load more chlorine just in case. Its the flushing the pipe though that stirs up all the crap in the first place and we don't need more chlorine. I was thinking of starting off with particle filter of some kind just to get some of the crap out I don't expect it to make crystal clear water but taking some of the muck out would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Consuming Water like that couldn't be good for you. You should take a sample to the Councils health dept not the Water works and ask for a test to be carried out and you would like a report before you take matters further. There are some fairly strict E U laws covering consumable Water. It looks like your local Council might be ignoring them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

eirator wrote: »
    Down in Waterford, its not bad most of the time say 11 months out of 12 but for the other month it can be minging. Putting an activated carbon filter on the sink would sort out the drinking water side of things but imagine a shower or bath in that stuff? Then if I complain all that will happen is they will open the valve at the end of the pipe run and flush it through and add a load more chlorine just in case. Its the flushing the pipe though that stirs up all the crap in the first place and we don't need more chlorine. I was thinking of starting off with particle filter of some kind just to get some of the crap out I don't expect it to make crystal clear water but taking some of the muck out would be a start.

private message sent

Advertisement