Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Grant + Work ?

Options
  • 28-04-2013 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey , im absolutely sick of the lack of money, i cant even afford to travel to college with the grant money and im getting the full maintenance payment 135 a month which is a joke really... The biggest problem is if i do go to work i will loose my grant as income in my family is just tiny bit below 42 grand . Can anyone tell me if there is any win win situation where i can work and get my grant because i wont be able to afford college fees but right now im struggling to survive 2 weeks after the grant payment ... Any help will be appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

You re allowed to earn up to 3000 a year without it beng accounted for, at least you were 2 years ago when I was getting the grant, all the info should be on the studentfinances.ie page.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Elite_Etnisa

I cant find anything on that website spent like an hour trying to find something no luck . By the way when do we have to renew our grants for next year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Means test
    If you were ordinarily resident with your parents from October 1 of the year before the year of entry to the course, you are considered dependent on your parents and your income (if any) is assessed together with your parents' income(s). An allowance is made for your earnings outside of term-time – up to €3,809 currently.
    from this link

Whatever you earn yourself, €3809 will be deducted from it before your income is assessed. In terms of renewing the grant, you will likely receive information about that in May/June.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Careful when working and getting a grant! If you work weekends, then that will be included. Thats what happened me....I worked weekends, and for earning a few hundred, we went over the income limit and now I get 75%.

Pure joke considering I actually bothered to go out and make some money as I couldn't afford college. As a result i'm getting 7 or 8 hundred less! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭keithb93

Can you work during the summer without effecting your grant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Elite_Etnisa

Can anyone give more information on this ? Especially Keiths question because it looks like dropping out of college for me next year :/

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

You can work during the summer!

"An allowance is made for your earnings outside of term-time – up to €3,809 currently."

I think out of term time is the summer, maybe a week over christmas and easter too. It was the weekend work that caught me. We were only a couple of hundred euro above the 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

keithb93 wrote: »
    Can you work during the summer without effecting your grant?

Yes if your earnings are less than 3,809

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement