Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iraq: A Decade of Hell

Options
  • 28-04-2013 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'd like to start a debate off on the true cost of this war, in my opinion, of aggression, under the guise of liberation. I'll let the following statistics speak for themselves:

Can war ever be justified? I believe not, and many wish to follow this belief through and have the option of withdrawing their support from the military in monetary terms. If we had a choice between sending a slice of our pay every month to support the buying of bombs or the right to withhold our wealth from the military, I think war would slowly disappear from the planet. The main problem is if I refuse to pay for the military I could end up in prison for tax evasion.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think war would slowly disappear from the planet

The optomism behind this statement exceeds that of even Neville Chamberlain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

As long as humans are around there will be war in some form.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 9 upsidedown forklift

The optomism behind this statement exceeds that of even Neville Chamberlain.

Have you ever tried knocking door-to-door trying to raise money to fund an invasion overseas? It would be difficult to rope people into that scheme, hell, let's try it. Set up a campaign on kickstarter and see how many we can get to voluntarily part with their pennies for a war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

America needs the oil

Why yes we do... the same as everyone else. But I fail to see why it is pertinent to this discussion.

As of April 2012, according to NPR, here is where the US got it’s oil:
    United States 39%
    Latin America 20%
    Canada 15%
    Persian Gulf 13% (primarily Saudi Arabia at 8%)
    Africa 10%
    Other 3%

I believe the reliance on oil from the Persian Gulf has even decreased in 2013.

• Advertisement
Advertisement